• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Sapphire, Cramming An Explorer Into A Ranger

absentminded102

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just wanted to show off my progress so far. Basically I have a 95 Ranger STX and a 97 Explorer Limited. I bought the Explorer mainly for the 5.0L, but with all the nice luxuries it had, I figured I'd swap over all the upgrades I could. Still a long way from done, but check it out.

First, I had to get rid of the 4.0L and transmission.

Next I removed the Explorer's powertrain.

Tore down the engine and sent it to the machine shop.

Tore down the transmission for overhaul and Advance Adapter to transfer case.

After that, it was off with the bed and cab.

Painted the rusty frame at this point.

Got the engine and transmission put back together and installed. I used Ford Racing headers and modified the stock motor mounts.

Found a clearance issue with the rear drain plug, and a temporary solution. Wish I knew about this going into this project.

I had to sit the cab and bed back down on a 3 inch body lift due to clearance issues. Time for Explorer interior upgrades. Gutted out Ranger stuff in cab and modified Explorer harness. (This has probably been the worst part of this entire swap.)

Ever seen a fully functional keyless entry pad wired into a Ranger before? You have now. I gotta admit I was a bit nervous drilling into my door.

Gutted the mirrors because Explorer mirrors are not a bolt on swap. Hopefully they will defrost like they should.

Redid the headliner, it was looking crappy. Upgraded sun visors, mirror, and overhead console.

Installed Ford factory coil spacers to lift the front a little.

I'll have to get more pics later but I also have the nice center console with message center installed, Explorer Limited seats and the memory seat buttons wired in and working. Still a long way from done but eager to show off the progress made. BTW, if anyone has a spare one piece steel driveshaft they want to get rid of, let me know. Also, I want to give a huge thank you to my employer, Kenly Ford for letting me use the shop since Feb 2017. They have been incredibly patient with me. Also my co workers have been very helpful along with you guys here at TRS. Ever since I first saw the 5.0 swap in the tech articles, I wanted to do this. The amount of info on this site is incredible.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Am I the only one not seeing pics? I can see that there are links to a google pic site but they don't show for me.

absentminded102

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I think it's fixed now. Hope y'all enjoy.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking good. Where did you come up with the Ford Headers? I've been watching for a used set of those or the Ford Racing Mustang "P" headers, but had no luck. Looks like you've got a brand new set there.

absentminded102

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I bought the headers new a couple of years ago, just kept google searching the part number (M-9430-E52) until a set came up. I wasn't too impressed with the quality for the price though because I had to grind out excess material that would have greatly restricted flow.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Like the build so far brotha

Sent from my iphone while gettin sidewayz!!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran into the drain plug issue too.

I so wish I had pulled the engine back out, dropped the pan and welded in a pipe bushing on the other side of the pan and just used a pipe plug.

I hate how it dumps oil all over the pivot bracket when I change oil.

Looks great though, very clean truck to boot. :icon_thumby:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Love it. Where are you at this point on the swap and build

absentminded102

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I really need to remember to snap a few more photos and post them. At the moment, I've got the engine running but it's not ready to be driven yet. I originally planned to keep the Ranger's transfer case for 4x4 HI and LO, so I installed the Advance Adapters kit. I later realized that since I'm practically swapping over all of the Explorer's electronics (including GEM module) there was going to be an issue with controlling the transfer case. I found a thread in the Explorer forums where a fella converted his AWD Explorer to 4x4 by using a V6 Explorer's transfer case with Advance Adapters kit and GEM, so that's the route I took. As a result, I now need to lengthen the front driveshaft and shorten the rear. Had I known this would happen originally, I would have never bought the adapter kit and would have instead installed a transfer case from an Expedition. Hindsight is 20/20, right? Since the rear driveshaft has to be modifiedanyway, I figured I'd go ahead and get the one piece design (still looking.) Also, all of the metal brake lines were rusted and I couldn't find new ones anywhere, so I had to bend and flare tubing. Debating on bleeding the lines now and drive it for a while, or go ahead and swap Explorer rear axle first. I'll have to find someone to weld on the spring perches though. Once I know that it's drive-able, I'll take it to a muffler shop for exhaust. The only other loose ends I can think of at the moment, is dealing with the different EVAP systems, and figuring out how/where to put the amps and sub from the Explorer. Going to install bigger tires and alignment also. By the way... with a 3 inch body lift and coil spacers on the front, would a set of 32/11.5R15 tires fit without rubbing? I still have plenty of work to do, but this project has came a long way. I can't wait to drive it, I'm sure it will be worth all of the effort I've put into it.

alpine67

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That's a nice looking build! I'll be following along as I prepare to go down this road with a 94 Ranger I picked up last week. And its good to know there's someone close by, so I hope you don't mind if I ask stupid questions, and maybe eventually take a look at how you do some of the mods.

absentminded102

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah man, come on down sometime. I'd be glad to answer any questions you'll have as best I can. Just know that if you're planning on putting all those Explorer parts into a Ranger, that you're in for a lot of hard work. This hasn't exactly been cheap either, haha. Not trying to discourage you, it's had it's fun moments, but plenty of headaches also.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah....didn't understand the cramming part...then seen you were keeping the civil society features....lots of work.

I put a complete mark 7 dash in one once....never again for free. put the keyless entry behind the cab though.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
for some reason i got no pictures, but sounds like you got a nice build going there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals