• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To Cut Holes in 1/8” Steel?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, all. So the cab mount bushings on my ’92 Ranger went bad while the PO still had it. Because he never fixed them, the circular holes in the top of the mounts themselves became enlarged. The rest of the mounts are fine, but the sleeves on the new mounts would have all kinds of slop if I installed them with things the way they are. Here’s a pic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10jLxkpCQYdIlDTo2fARtQlmlG6bDG5U_/view?usp=sharing.

My intent was to take the mounts out, use a hole saw on a drill press to cut out a circular hole where things are bad, then either weld a circular piece of good steel where the bad was removed, or else plate the top of the mount. I know that the latter would raise the cab an 1/8” over stock, but I think I’m fine with that.

Unfortunately, it took me about 2 hours of grinding to get one mount loose, so now I’m going to just jack the body off the mounts, then weld some plate with predrilled holes for the bushing sleeves to go through on top. Here’s the problem: I’ve looked around here for hole saws at places like Lowe’s and Home Depot, but can only find BiMetal ones. My experience with BiMetal drill bits has been that unless the metal is very thin (like tin roofing), BiMetal anything won’t do jack.

Does anyone know what kind of hole saw (diamond dust encrusted?), I’d need to cut through 1/8” steel plate and where I might be able to find them? A torch isn’t an option, as I don’t own one and want a cleaner cut than that.

Thanks for any input! :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I just used some large fender washers. They were perfect.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You can get carbide tipped hole saws at places like McMaster that cut fast and clean BUT, they are fairly fragile. The teeth break off very easily if you don't run them extremely flat and with a very even pressure/speed. Never run them in a hand drill!

For the cost though, I'd just stick with the bi-metal ones. Keep them drenched in oil and you should be able to make 4 washers before the blade dies.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use a step drill bit when I need to make an existing hole larger or back to round, good ones are not cheap but will last you for years.
Yes, lots and lots of oil, heat kills/dulls drill bits of any kind

If drilling up, get a pump oil can and keep pumping oil from above

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I second adsm08 advice. Find a large washer meant for 3/4" or whatever hole size you need, and if necessary add an even larger washer under that for support. Weld it on....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I second adsm08 advice. Find a large washer meant for 3/4" or whatever hole size you need, and if necessary add an even larger washer under that for support. Weld it on....
This is EXACTLY how we repaired a couple of my cab mounts. I found a fender washer at a hardware store that fit the snout on the bushing and bought a couple. Then we dropped one in the bottom, welded it there, and when we dropped another on top of it from the top side it laid almost perfectly flush.

The outer edge of the washer did have to be ground down to fit correctly, but that was more time consuming than difficult.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
bi metal hole saws work just fine, I recently cut a 3.5" hole in 3/8" steel plate at work (I only have a HFT benchtop drill press, doesn't go slow enough, and hand drilling is a chore with a 1/2" drill) with a Vermont hole saw, the Irwin ones at Lowes and HD work good too, used one of them to drill a couple 7/8" holes in the 3 point frame on my brush hog for my tractor to gain some more ground clearance...

That said, ready made fender washers would save a LOT of time no matter what...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
As another option I have nothing to do at work today lol. PM me and I'll cut some on my Bridgeport and mail them to you.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
As another option I have nothing to do at work today lol. PM me and I'll cut some on my Bridgeport and mail them to you.
There's an offer that's hard to refuse.

If you decide to cut your own, though, bi-metal blades are fine as mentioned above. It's all in the details. People have been cutting metal with plain high speed steel cutting tools for many, many years.

Get a good quality bi-metal cutter. Make sure it is as close as possible to being perfectly perpendicular to the work piece. If one side catches first it will try to jerk you around and maybe even break the pilot bit. A drill press is best because it gives you the best control. Use a square and make sure the table isn't tilted. Keep rotational speed fairly low to minimize heat buildup. Use cutting oil. Almost any oil you have on hand will be better than nothing. Feed the cutter into the work slowly. That is to prevent it from grabbing and breaking something and also to minimize heat. Make sure the piece you are cutting is firmly clamped in place. You don't want the cutter to grab and start spinning the piece of metal like a giant saw blade, ripping off your fingers and slicing open your belly. Not trying to scare you. A few safety precautions cost much less than a visit to the ER.

With that said, I have cut many holes in electrical boxes and control panels over the years using a hole saw in a hand-held drill. Some have been 1/8" thick. It just takes patience and an understanding of what can or can't be done. I have also used a 6 1/2" hole saw in a drill press several times very successfully.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
bimetal drill bits or holesaws should be fine for 1/8" plate. thats what ive been using for 10+ years on plate and tube.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, guys. Wow, thanks so much for all the great input! Sorry it took me so long to respond. Had a bad gallbladder attack that lasted several days. Second one in a week’s time. Sheesh.

I feel a LOT more confident about using a hole saw now and I’ll probably just buy a spare for the sizes I need, in case I dull them out completely in the process. I’ve been using some left over gear oil as a cutting oil (can’t waste anything when I’m dumping so much into tools).

@ericphoto: I’ll definitely be careful, man. Thanks.

@Dirtman: I’m speechless. Never had anyone make an offer like that before. YOU ROCK.
I should be able to handle it, but THANK YOU!!

@adsm08: This one kind of surprises me. Whenever I’ve bought washers before,
they’ve either been zinc or galvanized, which I’m told I should never weld.
I’d also think they’d be hard to find in 3” diameter and not very strong. I
know I’ve gotta be missing something here...

Again, thank you so much to everyone for all the great advice and helpful input. :icon_thumby::icon_welder::headbang:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 3" washer is out there. You are right about being careful when welding galvanized metal. Just grind off the zinc coating and your good to go.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You shouldn't breathe in the fumes while welding galvanized, the zinc coating on most washers isn't much but the super galvanized stuff could be bad, welding outside or with a fan blowing away from you should be sufficient to be safe

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals