• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MIG Welding Regulator Advice?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't own a flow meter. My set uses a regular gauge. But I was using a buddies set with gauges and I was having a bad time, laying rotten beads that had all kinds of inclusions. I was blaming everything from bad cleanup of the metal to wind from an open door across the shop. I finally figured out the gauges needed to be turned up to double what they should have been. With a flowmeter I would have been able to glance over and see right away what the problem was.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't own a flow meter. My set uses a regular gauge. But I was using a buddies set with gauges and I was having a bad time, laying rotten beads that had all kinds of inclusions. I was blaming everything from bad cleanup of the metal to wind from an open door across the shop. I finally figured out the gauges needed to be turned up to double what they should have been. With a flowmeter I would have been able to glance over and see right away what the problem was.
Sorry to keep asking questions, but does anyone know why this would be the case? In other words, why would a flow meter be so much more accurate than a gauge? I bought a Hobart regulator with gauges at Tractor Supply yesterday (they only had one model for sale) because I really wanted to get started on welding finally. It’s still unopened in the package, so it is returnable. I can wait and order one with a flow meter if the difference is really just that big. :dunno:

Thanks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Again, I don't own a flow meter and actually have never used one. My previous post is basically a WAG [wild ass guess]. But the flow meter has a ball that floats in the gas stream so you can visually check that gas is flowing and approximately how much, unlike the other type of gauges.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Again, I don't own a flow meter and actually have never used one. My previous post is basically a WAG [wild ass guess]. But the flow meter has a ball that floats in the gas stream so you can visually check that gas is flowing and approximately how much, unlike the other type of gauges.

Bingo! They’re simply more accurate, more reliable and easier to adjust which in turn will save you money over the long run. They take a little bit more abuse as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Bingo! They’re simply more accurate, more reliable and easier to adjust which in turn will save you money over the long run. They take a little bit more abuse as well.
What he said.. :icon_thumby:

A pressure gauge will read the same even if the flow is blocked.

Also I'll add that that if you buy / bought a regulator with a gauge you can buy a flowmeter separately and add it on later, (inline of course) even have both if you want! (not sure why, but what the heck!? :D )

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey thanks, guys! I’ve been using the welder a bit with the gauge-less, non-adjustable regulator that came with it. My landlord says that his welder is the same way. I need a lot more practice, but am short on steel scraps, so the vehicle is beginning to become my practice ground (lol).

At the moment, I just slowly open the tank valve all the way, which is what the instructions seem to indicate is correct to do. Doesn’t really seem like it’s blowing out some ridiculous amount of gas or anything, so maybe it’s built to only allow 12-15 CFH through when wide open... I know that not using enough gas causes crappy welds full of inclusions, but what might using too much cause? Just wondering what to look for.

Eventually, I think I will add a different regulator (that USA Weld one is definitely listed at a nice price, Otis). If nothing else, it would be good to know in advance when my tank is about to run out of gas. :icon_welder::icon_thumby:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
too much gas just uses too much gas... it's a shield... the advantage of an adjustable regulator is if you weld outside with a breeze that blows away the gas which requires more flow to get away from the spatter, with a non adjustable regulator you have to live with some spatter and poor welds at times or a high gas usage rate whatever the case may be.

At this point I don't have anything that needs a regulator other than my oxy/acetylene setup, my wire feed is a cheapo 110V HFT flux core unit and my other welders are stick...

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
too much gas just uses too much gas... it's a shield... the advantage of an adjustable regulator is if you weld outside with a breeze that blows away the gas which requires more flow to get away from the spatter, with a non adjustable regulator you have to live with some spatter and poor welds at times or a high gas usage rate whatever the case may be.

At this point I don't have anything that needs a regulator other than my oxy/acetylene setup, my wire feed is a cheapo 110V HFT flux core unit and my other welders are stick...
Good to know. Thanks, brotha! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals