• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need to know bolt size

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
My brothers 1992 ford ranger 4x4 had the transfer case bolts back out and fall off. The entire transfercase fell down and busted a chunck of aluminum off of the tail of the trans. It is a 5 speed standard trans. Anyways, there is 4 bolt holes on it, but no bolts for comparison. Does anyone know the bolt size to fit it? The truck is setting by a road and a cop said it needs moved by tommorow. I will have to pull the driveline off and drag it if I can't find out what bolts fit it. I could just go buy a handful and start trying them, but I figured someone on here might know. Also, I wanted to ask if that chunk of aluminum missing will hurt anything. There is a seal on the output shaft of the trans that should keep it from leaking fluid...right? It might let dust in there though.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Maybe someone knows the bolt size but I don't...I did post a bolt finder guide a while ago but you need to know the part number to find that information and my source for that has been unavailable for a few months...(on-line repair manual)...

If you have access to a Library the resource is available through them...EBSCOHOST Automotive Repair Manual...

A parts store should be able to look up the bolt size and many have them in stock

For the immediate situation I would suggest dropping the drive shaft, stuffing the hole with rags, and towing the truck to a safe place to work on it where it won't get confiscated...

The drive shaft is only 4 bolts on the rear end...I think mine were 11 mm 12 point heads but it might be 12 mm six point heads...just take a rack of sockets and pull the drive shaft...

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Driveshaft bolts have 12mm 12 point heads - get a 1/2" drive socket and bar, they are lock tighted in (as well as being down in dirt/salt for 2 decades...)

On the 4R70W from the Explorer on my V-8 conversion, there wasn't a seal on the transmission and 2 gallons of ATF on driveway later, I have treated all 4x4 transmissions as unsealed and pull transmission and transfer case together. Does the missing aluminum chunk prevent sealing?

Note: Almost all the bolts on my Ranger are metric.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Re

The chunk of aluminum is a sliver about 1 and 1/2 inches wide and about 2 inches long. It busted off of the bottom of the tail of the trans where the transfer case bolts up. So, with the transfer case bolted on, there will be a hole in the bottom to where you can look up in there and see the output shaft of the trans. I did not see any fluid on the road or driping off of it though. I may check the fluid level in the trans and if it is low, try adding some and see if it pours out. If it leaks, then the trans is shot right? I couldn't find the chunk that busted off last night. I may look again today....I hope it hasn't been towed.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Found my manual transmission rebuild manual: both FM146 and M5ODR1 should have a seal on rear output shaft.

So, your bro might still get out of this OK...

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Ithink the bolts are 10mm coarse ( lowest thread cont). If they are thru bolted, I can't remember, 3/8 hardware will work. :D

robotzombies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
33"
This thread http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65073 says the following: 'Depending on when that T-case was made they are either 3/8-16UNC (ENGLISH) bolts

~1-1/2" long (don't quote me on exact length I haven't had my coffee yet)

OR 10mm x 1.5 METRIC bolts ~40mm long (approx the same length).'

Of course, they're talking about a BII, and the bolt size depends on the year, but from what I can tell, most if not all RBV transfer cases can be swapped.

Don't quote me, however, because I haven't had the good fortune to have to remove my transfer case yet.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The T-case to transbolts ate 10mmX1.5 approx. 45mm long.

They thread into blind holes in the transfer case.

Beware, these bolts are typically "black oxide coated" to reduce or prevent corrosion as some factory transfer cases are NOT cast of aluminum, but of AluMag alloy.

AD
I've actually had one that was not cast of "alumag", but magnesium!

Magnesium will corrode as quickly as an alkaseltzer tablet, so take care...

AD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
update

I just wanted to let everyone know that the bolts were 3/8-16. I boughts both the metric and sae sizes you guys recommended on here and the 3/8 bolts worked great. I also wanted to let everyone know that the fluid in the transmission was still full and there was no leaks around the tail housing. I was only able to get four bolts in it and I think there should have been six, but 2 ears were busted off. It looks to me like the tailhousing unbolts and I can just find another tail housing and replace the busted one. It seems like it works fine now though. My brother drove it 14 miles back home with no issues...but he is scared to drive it now. lol. He is afraid it is going to fly apart on the interstate and wreck him. Anyways, thanks to everyone for your help...it's much appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals