• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer moonroof in 99 extended cab?

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Hello,

Ranger is currently under construction.

Would love to add a sunroof. Anyone know if an explorer roof panel with sunroof can be added to a ranger. I realize there are lots of nuances, like fabrication and welding, custom headliner, dome light, drain lines, power, etc, but my primary concern is shape and size. Is it even possible?

Seems like it would be cheap to come by an old explorer that could provide its roof section.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My 04 Edge 4-door has a hefty looking center brace that runs from the windshield back to a cross brace that crosses right about where the front and rear doors meet. I wouldn't cut that in two with out adding some additional bracing cross-ways to the door frames.

I'v never seen the Explorer with a moonroof without the headliner installed, if you could copy or transplant the bracing it might work, I guess it depends on how much you want it.

I wouldn't just cut the bracing out without reinforcement, it would prob let the roof vibrate/flex at highway speeds.

I can post a pic of my 04 roof interior if you want, the headliner is still out I just installed a set of cab lights, I was going to also add a ham radio antenna in the center of the roof but after seeing the brace work I decided to go with a fender mount.

Hope this helps! :D

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
That would be cool if you could post an image. I have had the headliner down on my pontiac vibe but I can't remember if the track was mounted to some sort of frame or just the skin.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

And I'll just throw in a pic of the 04 with the cab lights installed, 'caus why not..

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
great pictures. I see what you are talking about with the substructure. I wonder if the extended 2 door cab is the same. I definitely wouldn't cut into something like that.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals