• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help me get the best prerunner platform.

Lindenmooch

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all. Been doin some research on these fantastic twin beam trucks. My favorite being the ranger, because it's small and agile. My question to you is.....

What model years of Ranger had the 4.0 liter engine?

What transmission is the best/most durable?

I'm looking for an extended cab, 2 wheel drive ranger. It'd be nice if I could find a 4 liter 5 speed manual also...but that seems hard to find.

Also...did Ford do away with TTB in 1998? That will make the newest truck I can buy a 1997. So can I get a 1997 Ranger with ext cab, 4 liter V6, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive....???

Thanks guys....and I must say, great website! Love the tech library! :icon_thumby:

-Mooch

Lindenmooch

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No suggestions for a budget prerunner build? Any first hand experience with those I-beam relocating brackets?? I don't feel I need to buy brand new equal length beams for 3 grand....theres no sand within thousands of miles from me. I can't discuss this with myself! =)

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i hear ya! its a 3 hour drive for me to get to sand and its not very much, no desert here. I built (building) a 2wd cause I had one, it's a 94 single cab short box, added some fiberglass, a mazda 8.8 rear axel with trac-loc and a pro comp lift, when I decided to go long travel I flipped my shackles and built a set of extended radius arms now im building a set of I beams, I found a 97 for parts and im using the 2 piston calipers and spindles. If its any help check out my build http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2879150 you can PM me if you need any help but for a basic build knowing what I know now I would look for a 97 with 2 piston calipers, as far as the motor goes, you can have as much fun with a 2.3L as you can with a 4.0L as long as you get the right gears just check out raceranger97's build threads, thats a 2.3L, a 8.8 axel can be had for cheap if the truck dont have one, I would advise against getting a lift with drop brackets like I did im only gonna take them out eventually get a set of unequal extended and bent beams, longer radius arms and a set of coil springs and a good set of leafs out back, you can do all of this progressivly and on a budget, after you drive the hell out of it and if you still really want to keet building it you can go equal length and coilovers.

I know there are alot more people here with good advice so lets hear it, I hope this helps you out

Last edited:

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sweet another TTB guy :icon_thumby:. and ya what your looking for is hard to find. i wanted exactly that but ended up with an auto. took me like a month to find a decent one.

im guessing you dont want the boxy style ranger. so the good body style started in 93 and went to 97. in 97 is when they went to the SOHC 4.0 (or maybe it was an option) but that motor is better, it has more horsepower. how far do you plan on taking you truck? (lift kit, extended beams, long travel?)

if your thinking long travel i would talk to "dave@threat" hes on this forum. he makes some nice stuff. or go to giantmotorsports.com, or camburg.com

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals