• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pick-a-part help

BrinkOfLife

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, i am a new member here. Recently picked up an '85 Bronco II and am wanting to build it the right way. I am a semi-novice home mechanic. Ive worked on cars for years but mostly changing parts that have gone bad. I plan on going to a self pick auto yard and pulling both axles, driveshafts, and transfer case from a 95 or newer explorer. My question is, what tools would i need to take to the yard to get this done. Ive got a decent socket and wrench setup and basic hand tools and jack. Are there any specialty tools or large sockets needed to get this done. Sorry if this is basic or rudimentary, Im trying to learn/teach myself mechanical skills. Its a lost art. Appreciate any help or tips.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will need a 12 point 12mm socket for drive shaft bolts. All other sockets and wrenches should be 6 point. Rear drive shaft from a 4-door Explorer of any year will be too long. You actually want to look for two front drive shafts. Both will still require some degree of modification to work in your application. You can only use any 90+ front shaft if you change out your transfer case for the 1354 with fixed front output.

Also, you can't use the front axle from any Explorer after 94. For the 95 model year they went to IFS, and even if you already have a 4x4 your frame is completely wrong to use any of those parts. If you want to dual piston calipers you need to look for a 95-97 Ranger.

Using the Dana 35 axle will eventually cause you issues, unless you change your transmission, or get the front drive shaft shortened. There are length issues involved.

You will also need torx bits.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I recommend a can of pbblaster and some rags. I usually carry a cheap tarp to lay down on. But often you can find old floor mats to lay on while under the vehicles.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
A small handheld torch also comes in extremely handy. Cheater pipes..

GB :)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm assuming you meant pre-95 Explorer if you want a front axle?

You will need a 1-1/8 socket and 18 & 21mm sockets/wrenches to remove a TTB front axle, plus the usual other misc tools. Occasionally you will need a T30 torx and 8mm 12 point wrench for front driveshafts.

Rear axle - not much to it, driveshaft and u-bolts. 12mm 12 point and I believe 18mm for the u-bolts. Cut em with a cordless grinder if you can once they're loose, they are under tension. Cut brake lines. Shocks should be 18mm.

T-case can be pulled with a 13mm wrench and I believe 7/16 wrench for the speedo cable. 10mm for the skid plate bolts. Manual shift t-case you'll need a 14mm wrench and a 1-1/8 wrench for the shifter which you will need. Lots easier to get at the top bolts if you can drop the trans crossmember and let the trans droop down - 18mm fasteners there.

Jack, cordless impact, flashlight, lots of patience.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Using the Dana 35 axle will eventually cause you issues, unless you change your transmission, or get the front drive shaft shortened. There are length issues involved.

You will also need torx bits.
He is going to need the driveshaft to go with the t-case anyway. Depending on what trans he has it might just fit.

I would also recommend a hammer in your toolbox. Gonna need it for TRE's and other things might need motivation too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals