• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L Pinging

ScottB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hello I just got my truck back together it had a cracked head and I have been driving it around for about a week now anyway when the truck is under a load it will ping like crazy I know it did a little bit when I was going up hills before the major repairs but it is doing it all the time on the freeway. I took out the spark plugs and examined them they all seemed to be in good shape but one on the driver side was loose could that be the cause? Does this engine not like copper plugs? Also the truck did sit for awhile but there was a quarter of a tank left of the old gas so i just refilled it with new gas.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Always use motorcraft spark plugs in Rangers, they eat everything else.

Pinging is an issue with the 3.0l and 4.0l motors, there was a TSB for them, it was to put in a better coil for a better spark.

Pinging causes cylinder overheating and could have been the source of your cracked head, so I would get it to stop ASAP.

If you have an EGR system make sure it is working and not plugged up, the EGR helps prevent pinging.

Pinging:

This has been an ongoing problem with Ford's 3.0's and 4.0's for a long time. They have recently released a TSB on it. It requires a new coil giving a hotter spark. Evidently the current coil was just giving enough to ignite, and not explode. If the TSB doesn't apply to you, check your base timing and your timing advance.

Last edited:

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Technical service bulletin. Its basically when the manufacturer says "hey, we found this spot wherr we have a problem, here is how to fix it." They are for things that aren't severe enough to require a recall but go beyond a "common problem".

Postin' from teh Galaxy

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a website with free access to the TSB's? I searched for them and dozes came back, but none with more then some small vague info, and they want money for the rest..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals