• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 pinging

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
3.0 with 140,000 pings when it is over 50 degrees out. Pinging goes away when I clean the MAF sensor but only lasts about 300 miles . cleaned it three times.
I get a CEL code that comes and goes, it reads only PO340 ( cam position sensor malfunction) but I have no squeel from the synchro.
could it be that the gear is starting to spin on the Cam synchronizer throwing off timing ?
or could it be it be just the MAF sensor and the code is unrelated ?
why would the pinging go away after cleaning the MAF and return when I hit ambient temps over 50F ?

I plan on changing the cam synchronizer as preventative maintenence and do not expect it to magically cure the pinging and I dont want to just throw parts at it especially since I am a recent victim of the economic change.
I could try plugs, wires, MAF sensor , synchronizer and find out is a bad fuel pump or filter ? ( or would I get a lean code if that was it ?) will the MAF sensor send a code ?

ranger1999xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same problem. What I did was replace my MAF sensor and it never happened again. Good Luck!

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same problem. What I did was replace my MAF sensor and it never happened again. Good Luck!
Ok thanks for the feedback.
did you also have a PO340 ? , For now I'll assume you are refering only to the pinging/MAF sensor/ temperature issue
The PO340 code may be unrelated to the pinging, but I think it would be wise for me to also replace the Camshaft Synchronizer in order to avoid engine failure

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
shonuff, changed the MAF sensor and no pinging, even at 76 deg F. climbing 6-8% hiway grade floored in a 35 mile test

I pulled the # 1 plug ( motorcraft platinum AGSF / 32FM) before changing the MAF and it read "scary white" with significant visual erosion of the ground electrode to .058. The good news is no evidence of splash fouling ( aluminum cake stuck to the ground electrode or tip)

After running with the new MAF sensor the plug reads "light brown"

I hope it did not destroy the pistons too much for the distance i have run it in this condition (2000 miles ? ) worse case scenario would be a broken ring land or hole in the top of the piston

I have a fan on it now to cool the motor and will change the plugs and wires. The wires look old and dirty but no oil contamination. I did find that some foil backed insulation on the A/C evap housing came loose and was touching the wires on the right bank, so i glued it back in place.
I will clear the code PO340 and test to confirm that the code is from a fault related to the Camshaft position sensor and not somehow related to the excessive plug gap.
I previously cleaned the plug to the cam position sensor and added dielectric grease to rule that out but the code returned

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I changed the plugs and wires and it has more power now, it also seems to rev higher

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals