• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New member. 302 fitment questions

Themechtec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You don't have to break it, stupid!
I just started this project and would appreciate any input (tips, pointers, feel free to comment or inquire about details of anything, I know the history of truck and engine, but need experienced advise on how to plan this).

I'm starting with a 2006 Ranger extra cab; 3.0 Automatic 4x2.

I have a 302-2bbl w/ AOD out of an '85 Mustang (was told GT), was transplanted into a 80s- or 90s T-bird, then sat in a garage for about 10 years. It has about 75k miles on motor. AOD transmission bell housing has was cracked near the top, but was welded, was also told it drove fine after that repair, doesn't look like a problem, so I'm moving ahead with using this configuration in my Ranger.

I need to know:
1. does the firewall needs any modifications around transmission tunnel?
2. can I keep the air conditioning/ heater box?
3. ...
Thanks!

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome. I moved your post to the v8 forum to help get answers to your questions faster.

farmhanddunc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i did the swap in my 93 and made some creative changes with a hammer around the tranny tunnel to give myself some extra room. nothing crazy but there was quite a bit of useless steel just sitting in the way on mine.

the heater box can be headed up and then molded to fit around the valve cover/ intake as well. just take a heat gun/ torch and get it warm. i used an old oil filter and pushed into the area that was making contact and made more then enough room.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Factory stock a '85 GT automatic had a CFI (throttle body fuel injection), only carb was a Holley 4bbl on the 5-speed cars.

Not saying it hasn't been switched out but factory stock it wasn't a 2bbl... and the CFI kinda looks like a 2bbl.

Electronically your truck is about as incompatible with your engine as you can get. You can make it work but nothing on your dash will work, everything you have now is electronic so everything will have to be aftermarket/custom.

Kind of a lot of work for 165hp, you are gaining 20hp over the 3.0 (granted more torque though but still...)

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
302 swaps can be done without a body lift, but you will far more than likely need to move sheet metal. they fit fairly well sheet metal-wise if you use a 2-3" body lift.

Themechtec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks, I read somewhere that 1985 was the last year of the carbureted V8, Fuel injection was introduced in '86... The 2 bbl does stick out like a sore thumb. btw, the '85 GT made 210 HP@4400.
The improved torque is my immediate goal. I have a set of 45cc chamber '66 HI PO heads with .194 Chevy valves I may play, after I get it functional. Thanks for the input, and yes I know everything seems backwards here, but the truck was given to me...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I read somewhere that 1985 was the last year of the carbureted V8, Fuel injection was introduced in '86... The 2 bbl does stick out like a sore thumb. btw, the '85 GT made 210 HP@4400.
The improved torque is my immediate goal. I have a set of 45cc chamber '66 HI PO heads with .194 Chevy valves I may play, after I get it functional. Thanks for the input, and yes I know everything seems backwards here, but the truck was given to me...
It was the last year but you could only get the 210hp 4bbl with a 5 speed manual. If you got an automatic you got the 165hp CFI 5.0.

I think the mounting base is the same as a 2bbl so it could very well have a 2bbl, just thought you might want a heads up that it may be a similar looking throttle body injected engine.

http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/85.shtml

Either way, if it is CFI or a 2bbl you wont have anywhere near 210hp. :sad:

Loganwildman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
302 swaps can be done without a body lift, but you will far more than likely need to move sheet metal. they fit fairly well sheet metal-wise if you use a 2-3" body lift.
Are you referring to the tunnel area?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you referring to the tunnel area?
Mainly but it adds room everywhere. Like around the heater box and valve cover too.

A bodylift is not required but it makes everything easier. Heck, it makes things easier on a stock truck.

Loganwildman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Right. I have already modified the heater box, but am thinking I’ll take the rosebud to it this time to make it a little more formable the what the heat gun is doing.
I also had to tweak the truck pan as it was hitting the x member and I beam. With the advance adapter mounts I am using.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most use the dual dump pan from a foxbody. Only complaint on mine is I wish I would have moved the drain plug to the other side because it dumps right on the axle pivot bracket.

Themechtec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
It was the last year but you could only get the 210hp 4bbl with a 5 speed manual. If you got an automatic you got the 165hp CFI 5.0.

I think the mounting base is the same as a 2bbl so it could very well have a 2bbl, just thought you might want a heads up that it may be a similar looking throttle body injected engine.

http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/85.shtml

Either way, if it is CFI or a 2bbl you wont have anywhere near 210hp. :sad:
... well, I have learned that what I actually have is out of an '81 Lincoln, according to the block stamp. All stock 2v 302. Thanks for the insight.
I have changed my focus to a 2005 4x4 Ranger with the 4.0. I want to lightly boost it with an Eaton supercharger out of a Pontiac Grand Prix GDP.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals