• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV cam sensor swap issue

taylor3609

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Have a '99 B4000 with the 4.0, swapping the engine out of a '98 explorer. Having an old Ford mechanic come look at it but thought I could find some info out before he got here.

So the cam sensors are different, especially their plug-ins, what have you done when you encountered this?

Thanks!

taylor3609

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
changed them, tdc, then marked and switched. will update when truck is running (hopefully)

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a 98 Explorer be SOHC and a 99 B4000 be OHV?

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
98' Explorers had both as an option actually.
You could get them with a SOHC 4.0L( which was Vin: E ), an OHV 4.0L( Which was Vin: X) , or a 5.0L V8
Minus the 5.0L V8 Mazda should have had the same engine options as a ranger or Explorer but its possible it was only available with the OHV ?

Last edited:

fordfan86

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i assume you mean the thing on the back of the block that looks kinda like a distributor? had experience with this on my own truck, same scenario, exploder engine into a ranger. the only part you actually need to swap is the plastic cap on the top of the sensor where the plug connects to. then you dont have to mess with timing it. FYI the timing kit costs like $300 since it requires a special tool so i would really try not to screw it up like i did and have to have it towed to a garage to have it timed right lol. hope this helps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals