• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my ford ranger burning to much fuel

glackey17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 01 ford ranger with a 3.0l motor.i was getting 290-325 miles a tank of gas.put E3 plugs in it and still ran good.last weekend I put a aftermarket cold air intake on it and now my fuel mileage went to crap,only averaging 90 miles a half tank.can someone help me out why this is happening

RideFord94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What all did you do with your 'cai' install? I just built a spectre custom intake from the ricer isle and gained 2mpg even left the iat at -40 and it ran fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe the new filter was over oiled, and has contaminated the MAF? Maybe it's another issue with the truck like brakes dragging, or a locked up clutch fan?

glackey17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
how do you clean maf,can u help me out

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MAF safe spray cleaner.

Chris_North

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You pull the MAF out by disconnecting the plug then removing the two security torx screws and pulling the sensor out. Just be careful not to let the sensor part of the MAF to contact anything as they are apparently really sensitive. And yes make sure you only use MAF sensor cleaner, as other sprays such as carb and choke cleaner can damage your MAF. CRC is one brand I know for sure that makes MAF specific cleaner spray. If when you installed your CAI you were not particularly careful with swapping over your MAF, it may also be possible you damaged it.

Exactly how true everything is in regards to the MAF's susceptibility to damage I don't know for sure, but these are the things I have always been told. A replacement MAF IIRC is $160+, so I would err on the side of caution.

BTW I also take time while doing all this to clean the intake temperature sensor, further upstream in your intake tube. Not sure that it makes any difference, but when I first pulled it out after buying my truck it was covered in an oily grey substance.

glackey17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
chris_north,took maf out and cleaned it,changed ect sensor,where is the intake temp sensor located on the 3.0l ranger motor.this past weekend I cleaned egr tube and camshaft position sensor.this didn't help either.getting ready to do my exhaust see if that helps it out.any suggestions, im all ears,running out of things that could cause me to burn so much fuel

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At some point around 01-03 I'm pretty sure Ford made the intake air sensor part of the MAF. If you have one, it would be sticking into the air intake tube between the MAF and Throttle body. If you don't see a sensor sticking out of the air tube, then it's probably part of the MAF.

Are you getting a Check Engine Light, or any fault codes? That could narrow down your potential causes. Right now, it's difficult to help, because there are so many variables that affect fuel economy. Fuel economy involves factors besides the engine, so once you know the engine is in good condition, it's time to start looking at other parts of the truck.

Check to make sure your tires are all properly inflated.
Make sure the fan clutch isn't locked up.
Make sure your brakes aren't dragging
check the exhaust to make sure your CATs aren't plugged.

Also, E3 plugs are usually no good in the 3.0. Best to stick with basic motorcraft or autolite plugs. They're cheaper, and work better than any of the fancy plugs.

glackey17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
stmitch,replaced fuel filter, dpfe sensor, egr valve,erg selinoid,cleaned egr tube,all new 02 sensors,if cats were plugged wouldn't they get cherry red,fan clutch spins freely when u turn it.if I had leaking injector,wouldnt I smell fuel under hood.codes are 1156 and 1157 running rich in banks 1and 2 upstreams whatever this means.

glackey17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
stmitch,also noticed on stock tube has a hole in mid tube,but since my father owned truck and now me,cel always been on.the way it is now my rbber hose runs off fitting out cold air pipe to the pcv on top of passenger side valve cover.is this setup right or is that hole where a sensor suppose to be

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On my 2000, there are two holes in the air tube, basically right next to each other. One is for the pcv as you have it, and just to the right, there's another hole for the intake air sensor. If you don't have a second hole in the tube, then it must be integrated into the MAF on your truck.

A bad fuel injector wouldn't necessarily cause a fuel smell under the hood, but if it were stuck open, it would smell like fuel in the exhaust, and cause serious engine issues.

Have you noticed any changes in how the truck drives? Does it sputter, or have less power than normal, or make unusual noises?

According to this website, http://www.dtcsearch.com/P1157/ one of your fault codes involves an 02 sensor that is causing the engine to run in 'closed loop' all the time, which would kill your mileage. The other code keeps coming up as 'fuel selector switch' according to most websites.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals