• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Still lost, Danger ranger is in danger

HMFM Miller

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a 03 edge 4x4 auto with the 3.0l. Its had a rough idle and misfires/stumbles under power. It first threw a code on no.5 and i check the compression, plug etc and it looked good. I ended up swapping out the coil and fuel filter to no real improvement. It idle's rough but the big issue is when im driving. If it upshifts and starts to pull 2k to 25k on the tach it stumbles and the whole truck shakes. It acts like a misfire but no codes. Ive cleaned the IAC, and tried everything that comes in a can or bottle to no effect. Im lost. Im going to pulll the injectors tomorrow to look for anyobvious damage and look for any broke wires or connectors.

Help ranger nation.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That sounds a lot like what my 4.0L was doing when it had head and head gasket problems. Not saying that is your problem, but when I had compression tests done by shop it never showed. I'm still having head, head gasket, or block problems, but now it's drinking coolant so pretty obvious. IIRC your 3.0L isn't as prone to those issues as my 4.0L is.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A faulty injector seems likely to me. I've had a couple go south on my 3.0 and it did similar things. How many miles are on your truck?

HMFM Miller

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
The truck has 165 on it. I rebuilt the engine about 20k ago. Replacing the plugs, and wires after that. The injectors are originals.

How do I test the injectors? Im gonna pull them later today but I really dont want to spend 200 on a full set when just one or two are bad.

Last edited:

RDR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
Check the ohms on the injectors, I'm not to sure about the ranger they should be but if u check all 6 they should pretty much be all in the same range may very by 1 or 2ohms, also if u plan on pulling them I would soak them in injector cleaner and put them in a ultrasonic cleaner if u have one (like 20$ at harbor frieght) don't forget new o-rings when u reinstal

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
If the injector is at fault try some cleaner, might help.

To me injectors unless fairly new should be changed as a set.

Also, do a compression check with the engine hot.

HMFM Miller

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I just pulled them. They have rust on the injector surface. Im guessing I need to swap them out. I got the driver side out, Im gonna pull the other side now.

HMFM Miller

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So after swapping out 3 of the injectors, parts store only had 3. I put the intake back on and run it. Well its still throwing a code for mis fire on cy 5. Its got 110 on compression. Im lost.

JerZDevil81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
Did you clean MAF? And re-check for a cracked plug. I'd prob just replace it with an Autolite Double Platinum or Motorcraft too be sure.

Bad wire or defective coil would also do it. Coils can be funny, even new ones.

Thinking outside the box, o2 sensor or blocked cat? But then MPG would really suffer.

Just spitballing...

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a 03 edge 4x4 auto with the 3.0l. Its had a rough idle and misfires/stumbles under power. It first threw a code on no.5 and i check the compression, plug etc and it looked good. I ended up swapping out the coil and fuel filter to no real improvement. It idle's rough but the big issue is when im driving. If it upshifts and starts to pull 2k to 25k on the tach it stumbles and the whole truck shakes. It acts like a misfire but no codes. Ive cleaned the IAC, and tried everything that comes in a can or bottle to no effect. Im lost. Im going to pulll the injectors tomorrow to look for anyobvious damage and look for any broke wires or connectors.

Help ranger nation.
I have replaced several injectors on the 3.0 I didn't have the money to do a set so individual is what I ended up doing. to locate the bad injector I simply unplugged them one at a time while the engine was running until the engine Did not change, as in if the stumble got worse-> then its not that one. if you unplugged one and there was Zero change in how bad it was running. chances are its that one.

Last edited:

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 3.0 did the same thing, turned out to be a bad injector. Nhaz suggested just what I did, unplug each plug from the coil pack while it's running, it will be obvious when you get the right one. It was the #6 cyl on my rig. Good luck man.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals