• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Windshield Washer Leak (Not the pump?)

kingmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
Just took a quick trip down the freeway on my lunch break in my (new to me) 2004 Ranger. Hit the windshield washer for the first time and nothing came out. Heard the pump, saw a tiny little drop of water dribble out of the driver side nozzle and then a big fat nothing.

Parked in a parking lot to check things out, hit the washers a few more times. Stepped out of the truck and noticed there was a big puddle of washer flood on the floor by the door (both sides). Seems like the fluid is all running out of the drains in frame (where water is supposed to drain out around the wipers). Didn't see any major leaks near the reservoir or in the tubes leading to the nozzles.

Pulled the Ford shop manuals from Motorcraftservice.com and they aren't much help. I can see how I can access the driver nozzle -- the hose runs right into it in the engine bay. The passenger side is a different story, it looks like the hose gets wrapped up into a wiring tube and then disappears around the electrical connector. Not sure how to access it, but I'm pretty sure my problem is in there somewhere.

The Ford manual talks about removing the reservoir and pump but doesn't reference the nozzles at all other than saying that they are, in fact, part of the wiper / washer system. Big help. Anyone pulled their washer nozzles on 3rd gen?

Ran out of fluid (or nearly out) so I need to put more in tonight before I can do further leak analysis.

I promise I'll take pictures and do a write up. Very new to this truck (bought it a week ago from a dealer) and even newer to this forum but I can tell this is the place to go (reminds me of my previous go-to forum, crownvic.net).

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My guess is that your lines are clogged and the back pressure either popped one off or split it. Yo may have to run some new lines

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

kingmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
My guess is that your lines are clogged and the back pressure either popped one off or split it. Yo may have to run some new lines

I completely agree and since this is an OR vehicle and I've seen lots of folks complain about popped lines due to frozen nozzles I'd imagine that's the culprit.

HOWEVER, I'm still trying to figure out how to access the passenger side line. It looks like, from rooting around in the Ford shop manuals, that there are access panels on either side of the wiper motors. I'm sitting at my desk counting down the minutes until my shift is over, so I'll have to investigate further tonight. As long as I don't have to disassemble the whole front clip I'm actually kind of excited about this project!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Tape new line to the old line and pull it through. Hopefully it won't get caught on something

kingmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
Tape new line to the old line and pull it through. Hopefully it won't get caught on something

Seems like a reasonable solution. Any idea how to get the nozzles off the body?

Also, just any old tubing from the hardware store?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
They should just pull off. While they are off boil them in water and it might disolve the crud.. otherwise replace them. As for new lines try autozone/advance/O'Reilly s. Probably aquarium line will work but I would worry about it collapsing when it gets hot

kingmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
They should just pull off. While they are off boil them in water and it might disolve the crud.. otherwise replace them. As for new lines try autozone/advance/O'Reilly s. Probably aquarium line will work but I would worry about it collapsing when it gets hot

They don't seem to just pull off.

Tried the access panels and they were a no-go. They lead to the wiper motors but I can't get into the nozzles.

I think the deal is that the hose that connects the driver side nozzle to the passenger side nozzle burst. It can't be that hard to get in there, I bet if I could get the nozzles up it would be fine. Maybe I'll order new nozzles in case I break the ones I have on there and then I'll be more brave.

kingmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
Guys and gals, help. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! How does fluid get to the passenger size nozzle??

So the leak is on the passenger side nozzle. No water comes out of either of them, but it leaks out of the 'rain gutter' (can't find a better term for it) on the passenger side. Tank doesn't leak, pump seems to work, all the piping seems good that I can see.

Managed to pull the driver-side nozzle, because you can access it. Removed the gromit, pulled up on it and it came off. Gromit is undamaged, everything looks fine. I was expecting to see a tube link the two nozzles. The only tube coming out of the reservoir seems to go DIRECTLY into the driver side nozzle, so I expected a bridge between the two. No such luck! The tube must somehow get into the passenger side nozzle somewhere in the engine bay but I can't figure out where. There are some joints, so it must be there somehow.

So next question, aside from HOW DOES THIS DAMN THING WORK, is how do I get to the passenger side gromit?

It looks like I can access it if I pull this panel/connector, but it looks plenty scary:

What is that and can I pull the outer screws to move it to get access?

Help! Ford said that it'd be at least $150 to diagnose and fix this issue. Even if I buy the parts from them directly it's $40 in parts to replace all the tubing and the nozzles!!

kingmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm about to give up. Confirmed that there is some kind of tube under the grill in between the wiper motors that's just spraying water into the frame and letting it run out the sides. Tried to remove the access panel in between the wiper motors but it's a total nightmare and I can't get a wrench between the valve cover and the bottom bolt. Even if I could get that bolt out its a clearance nightmare and removing the valve cover and harness for the ECU seems like the only way to get in there and I cannot confirm that will give me the access I need.

Thinking about just taking it to Ford and having them deal with it. Can't see how they would have any better luck but not sure what my other options are.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
IF I remember right it should not be a big deal. In your picture, if you remove the center bolt you can pull the wiring harness off the ECU (remove the neg battery cable before you start so you don't screw up anything). Get it down and out of the way. Then with the two outer nuts removed you can pull the ECU out. Now you will have a fairly good sized hole under the nozzle. In mine, that black line with the ribbed cover just below the ECU is the washer delivery hose. About two inches to the right of the ECU is a tee. The line that goes up is the driver's side washer hose (the other goes to the pass). You an see where it goes into the firewall just to the right of the ECU.

But, I am not sure that will get you instant access. I would think the ECU sits in a sealed box so rain doesn't get to it. But, Ford put it together, so another human should be able to take it apart. Just take your time so you don't break anything. If that does not get you access, maybe there is access from inside the cab. Maybe behind the glove box.

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

1/4 inch irrigation line works very well and is rigid enough so it won't collapse..

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Guys and gals, help. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! How does fluid get to the passenger size nozzle??

So the leak is on the passenger side nozzle. No water comes out of either of them, but it leaks out of the 'rain gutter' (can't find a better term for it) on the passenger side. Tank doesn't leak, pump seems to work, all the piping seems good that I can see.

Managed to pull the driver-side nozzle, because you can access it. Removed the gromit, pulled up on it and it came off. Gromit is undamaged, everything looks fine. I was expecting to see a tube link the two nozzles. The only tube coming out of the reservoir seems to go DIRECTLY into the driver side nozzle, so I expected a bridge between the two. No such luck! The tube must somehow get into the passenger side nozzle somewhere in the engine bay but I can't figure out where. There are some joints, so it must be there somehow.

So next question, aside from HOW DOES THIS DAMN THING WORK, is how do I get to the passenger side gromit?

It looks like I can access it if I pull this panel/connector, but it looks plenty scary:

What is that and can I pull the outer screws to move it to get access?

Help! Ford said that it'd be at least $150 to diagnose and fix this issue. Even if I buy the parts from them directly it's $40 in parts to replace all the tubing and the nozzles!!

looks like the ecu connector. don't know if you can access from there.. but i imagine you could use 1/4 inch irrigation tubing as a replacement line nozzles can be cleaned. http://www.homedepot.com/s/irrigation%2520line?NCNI-5

could trace lines back from nozzles..
http://www.homedepot.com/s/irrigation%2520line?NCNI-5

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I just took a look. For a quick test to see if the driver's side is working pinch the hose to the to the pass side (pliers) and have someone run the washers. If the driver's side works you can cap the pass side until you can figure out access.

At least, you would have the driver's side working.

kingmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
EDIT: still learning how tapatalk works and missed that enj44 replied and pointed out where the tube enters the firewall.

I read on another Ranger forum that the ECU is sealed in a box and there no access there. They referenced another access panel which is color matched, which on my truck is in the center of the firewall. Access to the hose looks really difficult from there, and like I said on my truck the SOHC 4.0L clearance makes it a nightmare.

Might try pulling the ECU this weekend since it doesn't look like a lot of work but I wish I knew what was back there and if the sleeve is removable. Anyone pulled an ECU?

Last edited:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
If you have a local pull a part or other self service junkyard, go and practice on a Ranger there and this way you won't tear yours up :)

I have never removed the ECU on mine.

Black Demon, that is good to know on the irrigation line. Thanks for the link!

AJ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals