• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 3.0L Timing cover Gasket Recommendation

drmayf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Happy life? Happy wife!
Well, only received one real reply regards oil in coolant water but took it to heart. Have removed the water pump and have seen the sorry state of the gasket there. Timing cover is next, but I need recommendation on what gasket and crank seal kit to purchase. I want this to be a good one and better than OEM quality as those seem to be not very good. Is there one with a rubber component to the flat gasket? The paper ones seem to disintegrate over time.

ok to send email directly to me as I am anxiously awaiting a reply. I want this truck back on the road...

many thanks!
drmayf

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I used the Napa new water pump, timing cover set and 3-piece timing chain kit. The timing chain kit was only 1 additional bolt (cam gear) and I was there already. ($40 more). I did have some stretch in the original chain. Cheap insurance. This engine is noninterference so no big deal if it breaks or jumps a tooth.

I used the gray permatex make-a-gasket rtv sealant on both side of all gaskets. BTW, the timing cover gasket was bad on the passenger side on the engine. The water pump looked brand new with -only- 200K on it. I wasn't going to risk not replacing it since I had gone through the battle of tearing down the front of the engine. I was able to re-use the front part of the original oil pan gasket.

Change the oil before starting the engine. You -will- get antifreeze in the oil pan no matter how hard you try. I had about a quart of coolant in the pan when I drained the oil.

drmayf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Happy life? Happy wife!
Thanks for the quick reply! I will grab some of the Permatex "make a gasket" goo to wipe on the gaskets. Was not sure that this was acceptable but sounds like that is a great suggestion. What did you think of the NAPA gasket set itself? Were the gaskets like OEM or better? OEM stuff seems awful as all the gaskets I have touched so far have literally fallen apart: flaky delaminated paper things. Good thought on the timing chain and yes, only one bolt away from replacement almost makes it a no brainer. I have owned this truck since new and it still only has 84000 miles on it. And for sure since I am within a month of being 76 years old, I do not want to do this twice, lol. How can anything with as big as engine compartment as a Ranger be so freaking difficult to disassemble? I had oil in my coolant as the reason to take all this apart but no water in oil, go figure. Flushed and drained 4 times with commercial flush materials and then a couple more time with Power Clean purple soap. But as you say, oil & filter change before restart.

Many thanks again for the reply. Will get started on this today: just have the cover bolts to remove now. Water pump is off already.

mayf

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals