• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

‘04 3.0 horrible idle

StWeiler

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Against my better judgment I picked up an 04 Ranger with 3.0 for pretty cheap. It has a horrible idle (P0316) and spits n sputters from a drop. Once it gets past roughly 25 it runs fantastic. Supposedly has new coils/plugs/wires.
Any insight on where to start looking?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My former house mate had a 4.0 Aerostar with a similar issue, except that it was fine as soon as it was off idle. I asked a local mechanic about it, and he said it was the idle control motor. There *should* be a thread about it somewhere here from last fall sometime.

I've also heard people here talk about automatic transmissions having a stall speed, and implying that a bad torque converter would cause an engine with an automatic to stall if the engine was below the stall speed. Maybe somebody who knows about that an chime in and explain it for us. Please?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've also heard people here talk about automatic transmissions having a stall speed, and implying that a bad torque converter would cause an engine with an automatic to stall if the engine was below the stall speed.
That is not what "stall speed" means.

A torque converter's "stall speed" is the engine RPM at which the converter's normal internal function causes it to act like a physical coupler, rather than a fluid one.

To do a stall test you put the trans in gear, hold the brakes as hard as you can and start applying the gas. The "stall speed" is when the engine RPM where the torque converter's application of force overcomes the brakes ability to hold, because even though the TCC clutch isn't engaged the converter has effectively locked up or "stalled".

It has nothing to do with killing the engine.

Now a stuck torque converter clutch, staying engaged when it shouldn't can make the engine stall, but that is different terminology than what you were using there.

StWeiler

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is this something I should explore first? Or are there better routes to start with? IAC? O2 sensor? Vac leak? Intake gaskets?

Anyone with similar experience?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Given your description the possibility of a stuck clutch certainly bears investigating.

The test is very simple, but requires some special equipment, namely a scanner that does transmission data.

You pull up the TCC slip actual and TCC slip expected PIDs and see if the numbers are close or not. I like to have engine RPM in there too. At idle in D the actual PID should be the same as engine RPM. If it starts going much lower than that something is keeping the converter clutch engaged. Then it is time to start looking inside the transmission.

Last edited:

StWeiler

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I guess I wasn’t clear.
It doesn’t matter if it’s in park, or drive. The rough idle is there regardless. It seems like as it warms up the idle worsens and the sputtering from a stop light gets worse as well

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That is not what "stall speed" means.

A torque converter's "stall speed" is the engine RPM at which the converter's normal internal function causes it to act like a physical coupler, rather than a fluid one.

To do a stall test you put the trans in gear, hold the brakes as hard as you can and start applying the gas. The "stall speed" is when the engine RPM where the torque converter's application of force overcomes the brakes ability to hold, because even though the TCC clutch isn't engaged the converter has effectively locked up or "stalled".

It has nothing to do with killing the engine.

Now a stuck torque converter clutch, staying engaged when it shouldn't can make the engine stall, but that is different terminology than what you were using there.
Thanks. I learned something new.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I guess I wasn’t clear.
It doesn’t matter if it’s in park, or drive. The rough idle is there regardless. It seems like as it warms up the idle worsens and the sputtering from a stop light gets worse as well
Is the CEL on if so pull codes. Check for vacuum leaks clean map and throttle plate, check IAT. Check air filter also check fuel pressure.

Jamesk09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88’99’ 02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Pull and clean your IAC valve.

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's what mine was, when it did that. You should probably clean it when you prep for your emissions testing.
If you need a new one and they don't have it for the Ranger, the Taurus one will work but the connector comes off straight rather than at an angle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals