• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FACTORY Rear Disc Brakes

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I did the explore axle(95-02) swap a couple of years ago and I HATE the E-brake. It its a stick truck and I park on a mild grade

I am, wondering if there is any way to put the OEM Ranger 2010-2011 Disc brake setup on my explorer axle.

So has anyone done this or does anyone have a factory disc brake setup they have pics of or are willing to get some pics?

I have entirely too much time and money into the explorer axle to ditch it now(Yukon dura-track, yukon axles, full rebuild, sandblasted and painted)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should be the same setup, smaller Parking brake shoes inside drum on the rotor

Not sure either ever used the screw type caliper pistons

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
My brother put an explorer axle in his ranger. I also disliked the parking brake set up at first and we had a heck of a time getting the parking brake to hold.

We had a few issues, fixing them got him a great e brake on the stock explorer parts.

The first issue was that we did not realize that the two little "arms" which push the shoes out were almost totally seized. I don't know the correct name for them, but basically they pivot relative to each other on a pin, which push the little pads apart into the drum, and which connect to the e brake cables through the back side of the dust shields.I'm sure this isn't your issue, but have you taken them out and cleaned & anti seized them? That alone made a huge difference for him

The second issue was the little stamped steel coupler which joins the e brake cable that comes from the cab to the two rear cables. We had to shorten it length wise by a few inches as I recall. There wasn't visible cable slack prior to this, but putting a little more tension on the cables helped a lot

One last issue is that we accidentally had routed the rear cables in ways that bound the cables over things and the one that passes through the frame rail, we totally goofed and had outside the frame rail. We copied the way that my stock cables are routed in the rear on my Ranger and fixed all that.

His e brake holds very strong everywhere we've ever tried it. About as good as my 10" drums do. Hope some of that might be helpful

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
scroll thru these pics
https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166349

you may also want to check out Crown Vic rear brakes. they have the shoes inside the drum/disk setup.

Thank you. The was a very informative read......

Should be the same setup, smaller Parking brake shoes inside drum on the rotor

Not sure either ever used the screw type caliper pistons
Nope, they are different and the link that PJ linked to shows how very different they are from the drum brake version.

My brother put an explorer axle in his ranger. I also disliked the parking brake set up at first and we had a heck of a time getting the parking brake to hold.

We had a few issues, fixing them got him a great e brake on the stock explorer parts.

The first issue was that we did not realize that the two little "arms" which push the shoes out were almost totally seized. I don't know the correct name for them, but basically they pivot relative to each other on a pin, which push the little pads apart into the drum, and which connect to the e brake cables through the back side of the dust shields.I'm sure this isn't your issue, but have you taken them out and cleaned & anti seized them? That alone made a huge difference for him

The second issue was the little stamped steel coupler which joins the e brake cable that comes from the cab to the two rear cables. We had to shorten it length wise by a few inches as I recall. There wasn't visible cable slack prior to this, but putting a little more tension on the cables helped a lot

One last issue is that we accidentally had routed the rear cables in ways that bound the cables over things and the one that passes through the frame rail, we totally goofed and had outside the frame rail. We copied the way that my stock cables are routed in the rear on my Ranger and fixed all that.

His e brake holds very strong everywhere we've ever tried it. About as good as my 10" drums do. Hope some of that might be helpful

The little arms were seized when I got the axle but I freed them up and greased them.

And pics or measurements of the stamped steel coupler? My pedal dam near goes to the floor, so maybe this is part of my issue.

I had to recently put new shoes on due to a piss pore shop replacing my axle shaft and oiling my shoes. Now I cant seem to get them to hold at all. I have had them apart about 5 times. I am ready to buy the new OEM loaded backing plates off ebay and start fresh. Just not sure if the ones listed come with everything. The listing description just says caliper backing plates and caliper mounts. I have messaged them to try and get a better description
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-1995-2002-Ford-Explorer-Rear-Parking-Brake-Mount-RH-LH-Backing-Plates-/253834753077?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

My cables are routed as good as they can for being explorer cables in the ranger

Thanks for the responses guys

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I used a Dorman fixed size coupler and an F-150 equalizer to hook my 87 front cable to the Explorer cables.

I have the shoes adjusted up pretty high, and I still have to put the pedal down pretty far, but mine does hold, even on a hill.

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used a Dorman fixed size coupler and an F-150 equalizer to hook my 87 front cable to the Explorer cables.

I have the shoes adjusted up pretty high, and I still have to put the pedal down pretty far, but mine does hold, even on a hill.
What do you mean by fixed size coupler?

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, just a lit update.

I ordered brand new Ford loaded backing plates(backing plate, caliper mount, e-brake shoes and all the hardware.

It took about an hour and a half to drain the diff, pull the axles, R&R the backing plates, reinstall axle & diff fluid.

NOW I have a working E-brake. 1/2 pedal and it is VERY secure.

Not sure if I had something together wrong, missing parts or something was just plain worn out. But it was money well spent($147). After all winter is a approaching and I need to let the truck warm up

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals