• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 super cab on 95 reg cab

Tris-n-melis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
hey, I've got my self neck deep in trouble for the millionth time with my truck.... my 87 would cost me way too much to rebuild from ground up like she needs, and I was just given a 95 ranger that runs like a beast. 95 was slammed sideways into a tree.... so, I've started tossing the cab from the 87 on it. not afraid of welding, bolting, cutting, drilling etc. . . . but I am affraid of wiring. the 95 runs great as she sits, so I don't want to rip into the dash on her... so decided to leave the fire wall, and remove the fire wall from the 87....... thinking I may use some tar like caulking called "Black jack" and some sheet metal screws to hook it together. and then welding it up....... any tips on how to get 'er done would be greatly appreciated. I will get picks of what I've got as soon as I can, if I can get the camera working.... the 95 is missing a roof, and doors. also missing the front wrap..... also, anyone know if the 5 speed from the 87 2.9 will bolt up to the 95's 3.0? well... more specifically, if I can bolt up the 87's manual transfer case where the 95's electric transfer case sits..... or, the input shaft different? don't wanna rip in to count splines for no reason if any o you have the info for the 95's 5 speed... thanks!

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
engine-tranny bolt patterns are different for the 3.0 for sure. the transfer cases should swap out though. if you check the tech library here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.php you'll find a wealth of info for that. might even have some wiring help for you there as well. also, you can look here for additional info: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13 for the tranny and here for more on the tc swap: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14.

good luck with your project and Welcome to TRS !!!

Tris-n-melis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Strvger! This is gonna be a long and interesting job.... I think It's gonna be a whole lot of fun! maybe a few dollars spent by the time I'm finished.....

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I was going to try to mount an Xtended cab on my regular cab frame years ago but decided against it when I realized I might have to cut the back of the cab...might have been able to do it if I had a welder and some fabbing experience...

Post pics if you can of your steps...might help others...:)

Tris-n-melis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
guessing you were planning on keeping the original bed on your rig mark? I am planning on building a flat bed to suit however the cab turns out.... or... is there a different reason to cut the back of the cab?
Thanks for your advice in advance btw. and yes, soon as I get my camera up, I'll post pics..... gonna be hecka fun!!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Actually, I was going to shorten the bed...I would have had to cut the bottom of the cab out to fit where the frame rises up just behind the standard cab...and that would have been much too much work for me...I was thinking of maybe a small lift might be needed to clear the hump...but from what I figured at the time it would require something like a 10" body lift...

I just decided to go with the extended frame...that's why I'm curious...would like to see if someone can do it...

Tris-n-melis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm just gonna use a 10 lb sledge on the back of the cab if there's any spot where the cab doesn't clear the frame.... think that'd be the best way of doing it, plus, I have a 5" body lift I'm thinking about putting on..... not sure if I want to go 5" taller or not... pref. the low center of gravity.... know what I mean?

Tris-n-melis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
kinda wondering, if I should just go ahead and get some of the mechanical upgrades done with the body off? eg... suspension, front end, transfer case, etc..... am also thinking about possibly getting a doubler kit? not sure which rear/ front ends to get that would hold up best with the doubler.... am planning on moving my rear suspension mounts back somewhere between 1-2 ft to accomodate the longer cab. want the tires to sit in the wheel well, instead of in front of it :p also, would the ranger transmission + T-case hold up behind a 5.0? kinda thinking that I might take the motor out of my ol' mustang and toss it in here while I'm working on her. have heard you have to mess around with fender walls, + fire wall etc to get the five 0 to fit ....... hoping to make this truck into a "rum runner" of sorts. . . . I want decent freeway speeds, w/ lowish center of gravity, but great 4x4 performance as soon as I hit dirt.... wanna be able to stay ahead of the smokies on the free way long enough to get to dirt.... crown vics don't do dirt very well, but last time I did that, punchin 45 mph on solid dirt blew my t-case....... so.... kinda trying to think out this design as well as possible before I launch into it......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals