• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power window issue

95dangerranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So, the passenger side window doesn't work on my 95 ranger, but I had power at the switch and motor connector of 12.4-12.5 volts. Logical conclusion is the window motor failed. Bought a replacement and installed it. The window STILL doesn't go down. Re-checked the voltages, which haven't changed. Had a friend push the passenger side window switch up, and had 1 with power, one without power. Push switch in the opposite direction and the one that had power no longer does, and the 1 that didn't now does. As far as I can tell, everything is checking out, but window doesn't go down. When I take the new motor and plug it into the driver's side connector, it goes up and down as it should. Any ideas, or has someone seen this before?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Passenger side window switch gets 12volt directly but gets its GROUND from Drivers side Master switch.

A 12volt motor works when it has 12volts AND a ground on its 2 wires, then it will rotate clockwise, if you Reverse the 12v and ground on the 2 wires then it will rotate counter clockwise, thats how the up and down works, reverse polarity for direction.

On the passenger switch there will be a light blue/black stripe wire, thats the 12volts from Power window relay, it should have 12v when key is on
You say you do have 12v on this wire

The other 2 wires White/yellow and Tan/blue are the GROUNDS from the master switch on drivers door.
Thats how the drivers door switch can control passenger side motor

You could have a problem in the Master switch or on these 2 wires as they pass thru the door hinge and cab.

With key on and volt meter set for DC volts test light blue wire(12v) and white wire(ground), if you don't see 12v then white wire is not a good ground
Same test for light blue and Tan wire, tan should also be a good ground

95dangerranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply Ron. So I checked as instructed, and there is no power on the light blue/black wire when tested with white/yellow wire, but there is with the light blue/black and light blue/tan wire. So is there a common point where the yellow white breaks, or do I have to spend time tracing the wire through the truck?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
When you git it fixed come do mine? both motors bumpity bump up and stop.. but the windows go down noooo problemo!

95dangerranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You're about 8 hours away Denisefwd03, otherwise I'd be happy too :)

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Oh that's sweet, but it seem like not a very difficult job, the door panels come off quite easy.

There are other issues are more pressing on this truck like the oxygen sensor wires being crushed between the bellhousing & block.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply Ron. So I checked as instructed, and there is no power on the light blue/black wire when tested with white/yellow wire, but there is with the light blue/black and light blue/tan wire. So is there a common point where the yellow white breaks, or do I have to spend time tracing the wire through the truck?
I would start at Drivers door switch, thats where White/yellow wire ends up, and Master switch is "most likely" the place of the problem, it is just used more often than passenger side switch.

White wire is connected to passenger side switch IN the Master switch and Grounded thru that switch.
Drivers side window works, goes up and down, so the Ground is good for the system because both sides share the same Ground wire, a solid Black wire on the Master switch.

Denisefwd93, you need to adjust the window slide tracks, one or both are loose, so window is getting wedged on its way up, with down it just slides easier

Last edited:

95dangerranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I finally got the driver side switch and installed it, but the passenger window still doesn't move RonD. Any new thoughts, or is it time to start looking at the wiring?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does passenger side window switch have 12volts with key on?

Should have a Light blue/black wire with 12volts, this 12v comes from Power window relay same as drivers door switch's 12v

The other wires on the switch should be Grounds, test using the 12v from blue wire
These Ground wires come from the Master switch in Drivers door.

Common break points are inside the doors hinged wiring boot, wire are bent and unbent each time door opens and closes, drivers door being the more common place because it is used more

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds like the wiring is the only thing left to check,. since the original post on this I've learned a lot about the window motors and how they work and the motors themselves almost never go bad it's the Gear Drive that's "easy" to repair.
Does passenger side window switch have 12volts with key on?

Should have a Light blue/black wire with 12volts, this 12v comes from Power window relay same as drivers door switch's 12v

The other wires on the switch should be Grounds, test using the 12v from blue wire
These Ground wires come from the Master switch in Drivers door.

Common break points are inside the doors hinged wiring boot, wire are bent and unbent each time door opens and closes, drivers door being the more common place because it is used more

95dangerranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's been a while, but I just fixed the window. I chased wiring down multiple times, but couldn't find a break. I decided to replace the passenger side switch in a last ditch effort and VOILA! The window goes up and down as it should. I don't like to leave my threads unresolved. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. It was appreciated :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals