• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for some tips on builing my own cargo trailer

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 6 by 10 foot utility trailer that want to convert into a cargo trailer. My question is this. I am using plywood all around and am wondering if using a good few coats of tremclad on the roof would be good enough to seal it against water. I know fiberglassing would be ideal but do you guys think 3 maybe 4 coats of tremclad do the trick? I have used tremclad on my plywood flooring in my boat and I have found that it seems to have good sealing capabilities. The only flaw I found was that the floor does take a lot of abuse causing scratches but since the roof wont have any sort of traffic/scratches I was thinking that it should work just fine.
What do you guys think?

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
If you store it covered up (even a tarp would be enough) it should be fine with any kind of exterior finish. I'm building one too, but want to keep it light and convertible so I can still use it as a utility trailer. I'm going with braced, corrugated plastic. (The stuff they make outdoor signs out of) It's cheap, super light, strong and weather proof. That may be a good choice for your roof. It even lets some light through.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals