• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I want to install a new temp gauge!

RangerRough

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6.5"
Tire Size
35" KM3
Sooo, i am kind of a temperature/oil pressure ocd freak and was wondering if someone could help me choose a gauge cluster that is larger and will mount anywhere other than the standard spot behind the steering wheel. I own a 96 ranger 4.0 4x4. I was doing a little research but i got lost pretty fast, do i bypass the old temperature sending unit or does that go to my ecu? Do i have to buy a temp gauge that has a specific fitting for my engine and Where exactly do i install the new temperature sending unit? Pretty much need a lesson on this lol. Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The temp gauge on the dash uses its own temp SENDER on the engine
The computer uses a separate ECT SENSOR on the engine, so there are two temp units.

You can use the stock SENDER with most 3rd party gauges, or change it to match gauge, depends on which gauge you like best, senders are not expensive.

Oil pressure after 1989 or so on Fords was a SWITCH, on or off, so not "real" oil pressure.
If you want a real oil pressure gauge then you will need to change this switch to a SENDER, or you can run BOTH, the switch and a new SENDER, using a "T" fitting.

PS60 was a standard oil pressure sender that works with most electric oil pressure gauges, but again the senders are not expensive so go with gauges suggested sender

Many like Pillar mounted gauges, Google: ford ranger pillar mounted gauge

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals