• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recommendations for a loud turn signal flasher

GR8RYD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently purchased a 2000 Ranger Sport. I am hard of hearing and find I am sometimes leaving the turn signal on (say after a lane change) because I am tall and it is hard to see the dash indicators and I have trouble hearing the click of the stock flasher relay. Any suggestions for a replacement flasher or other solution would be very much appreciated.

codebreaker23

Reaction score
Well I won't be rude and give a legitament idea

Could buy some led pods don't need to be super bright and install them above the dash where you could see them easier and piggy back them into the dash indicator circuit

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Back in the old days when the turn signal relay was a big metal cylinder under the dash you could buy "extra loud" versions. Unfortunately I dont think it's that simple anymore.

2 ideas that come to mind are what codebreaker suggested, an led tied into the turn signal circuits and an audible alarm wired in the same way. The simplest way to do this I can think of is to splice off the trailer wiring for left and right turn and connect those 2 wires together to the (signal) terminal of a standard 4 wire relay. Run your 12+ input and ground to the relay and use the 12+ out terminal to power your audible alarm inside the cab.

Edit, brain fart... Trailer circuit wont work since rear turn is also stop. The alarm would go off whenever you hit the brake lol. Need to tie into the left and right FRONT turn signals to run the signal terminal of the relay.

Edit again, I need to quit drinking.... Front wont work either, those are also the marker lights. Alarm would sound anytime the headlights are on lol. Need to tie directly off the turn signal switch!

Last edited:

codebreaker23

Reaction score

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I deleted my original post I have very strong feelings about these types of things so it would be hard for me to be objective

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can buy Loud Flashers, they use Relay type mechanical movement vs thermal flashers which are not that loud.
But not sure if they come in the newer style(EP27) needed in 2000 Ranger, the turn and hazard are the same flasher

You could use 12volt Piezo buzzers one for each side, about $10 each.
You would need to splice these into dash indicators or front lights, can't use the rear taillights because same wiring is for Brake lights so buzzer would activate when brake lights were on as well as turn signals

Last edited:

GR8RYD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I won't be rude and give a legitament idea

Could buy some led pods don't need to be super bright and install them above the dash where you could see them easier and piggy back them into the dash indicator circuit

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Thanks for the helpful suggestion. Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums has a number of owners with the same issue. Maybe it is an older crowd over there! :annoyed:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also check RV forums, for sure an older crowd, and a popular Pet Peeve for RV owners, i.e. Flashers are not loud enough :)

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Well I did just turn 70 last month...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Happy birthday!

Edit; I tried posting in all caps but the site wont do it. I was trying to make a joke by "yelling" in print. But the best wishes are true never the less.

Last edited:

GR8RYD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I located this Turn-Alarm website and ordered their Model 607 Turnalarm for $34.95. Expensive but it is a direct replacement for my factory flasher. The sound is like a commercial vehicle backup signal and I am very comfortable that I will never again leave my turn signals on because I could not hear them. :yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals