• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring or Gauges / HELP

duce07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can't keep up- Don't get up
HelpI have a 99 XLT Ranger 4.0 Extended cab, I have been working on for a while just trying to finish it up BUT the Speedometer an gas gauge don't work, there is a electrical connection under the cab that go's into the cab , DOES ANYONE KNOW THAT PART NUMBER or where to get a repair kit for it? I have searched and found that that connector has been a problem so would rather fix it first before replacing gas gauge sending unit and the ABS/ VSS.
Thanks in advance :sad::dunno:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never heard of a 1999 having that issue but C340 was the connector used in 2001, C309 on 2000

Both of those had water intrusion issues

Google: Ford Ranger C309

duce07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks RonD, yes that water issue was what caused the pins in the connector to corrode and lose connection for part of the other gauges and lights in the dash , seems part of them use the same ground through that plug just below the drivers seat that go's through the floor pan, just didnt want to have to do a full splice on that wiring and not have a good plug to put back in. But I did get the Gas Gauge working the problem there was behind the dash had to trace the wire down to find it. NOW the Speedometer is all I have left other than some rear wheel well bed braces before I can take it out of town. So now it check the ABS/VSS on the differential or the Vss on the transmission seems thy use 3 different type of speedometer connections , according to the local dealer, cable, VSS on the transmission , and the ABS sensor on the differential.

Thank you again RonD :yahoo:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1998 to 2000 used rear axle ABS VSS for speedometer

Earlier used VSS on transmission or transfer case, later use OSS on transmission or transfer case

So just those 3 years, 1998/1999/2000 were different, and your year is one of those, 1999

Rear axle VSS has 2 wires, they run to the ABS module, a VSS generates its own voltage, AC Voltage
Both wires are SPLICED and run to GEM(generic electronic module) behind the radio
The GEM converts the 20,000pulse per mile(PPM) to 8,000PPM and then sends it out to speedometer/odo, computer and cruise control

If CEL(check engine light) is not on, so no P0500 code, then VSS and GEM are working as they should, check wiring at speedometer, Speed signal is on the Grey/black stripe wire.

Last edited:

duce07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thank you DonD I have NO CEL Check engine light on , everything on the dash is working like it should The trip meter moves but only a VERY small amount them stops doesnt even turn over 1 number but press the reset and it moves back about half a number ( 0 ) but the cruse control is tore up and will be being replaced I have that but wanted to get the speedometer working first . Boy this sort of stuff is sort of a pain rather it was a much older truck I know them much better, all this new stuff is a pain but I really like the truck so I keep going ( and learning along the way ) . and as long as it keeps me out of the weather here in the winter grat the rest of the time I will ride my Harley.
Guess I pull that radio and dash and see whats going on . The guy I got the truck from cut the JVC stereo wires out so he could have screwed something up he said he couldn't get unplugged , but I want the stock radio in it Put the JVC in and dont like it

Thanks for all your help DonD
David

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good stuff to check

I forgot to mention that the ABS light would be on if the rear axle VSS sensor was not working

If trip odometer seems to move, even a little, then you could have a common issue with Rangers, failed worm gear

Google: ford ranger odometer worm gear

duce07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Good that saves me from having to go under the truck AGAIN, and can do a dash pretty fast just need to find out where everything is . I basically stopped working on cars and trucks over 20yrs ago,so some of this is sort of new to me Now if it were a Harley then I wouldn't need help been working on them for 60yrs I haven't even needed a car or truck till I moved here Las Vegas or Phoenix isn't bad in the winter so all I needed was my bike.
With the information you have given Me I should have it working pretty soon , I will google the worm gear and see what that brings up , Hope thats what it is that's the easy one to fix. OH if it has the VSS on the transmission would there be a warning light ?

Thanks AGAIN DonD
You have been a great help
David

duce07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
OK RonD more problems now = Got a different Dash out of a 98 ranger got it in ( has a Tach ) now I have the ABS LIGHT, and Air bag light but still no speedometer so it is back to square 1 with 2 other problems. if the cruse control was bad would that cause the speedometer to not work? Does the dash have a memory or something if the dash came out of a truck that was in a wreck would it show the air bag or anything all the other stuff wrks and it takes about 50ft for the ABS to come on.

Thank RonD

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2004 and up Ranger dashes have memory, 2003 and earlier do not

So the ABS Light is now ON all the time?
If so then could be rear axle VSS sensor or its wires

No Bad cruise module or wiring wouldn't effect speedometer

duce07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Well the Dash I got is a 98 so no memory ( with Tach ) saw your post on that being pre-wired so just got a new dash for about the cost of the speedometer gears , and the seat belt light works ok but I get that Air bag light blinking Guess I need to count that out for the trouble code, Didnt know there was a light in the passenger air bag shut off switch Mine doesnt work but it is listed as a reason for the air bag warning light , so guess I need to find out about that , yep figured it might be that ABS/VSS in the differential so got a new one for that for when it stop raining, seems like it all should have been the same but who knows , My dash was 139K and the new one has 141K .
All this new technology is slowing this old man down trying to get it all fixed.
Already did front suspension all the grill front bumper ( had bet frame horns so made new bumper bracket ) new tires wheels new fuel pump and filter front fender Battery and a lot of little stuff. But should be my last truck if not I am getting a mid 70's Ford truck where I dont have all this new stuff to deal with.

Thanks for the help and the reply
It does help make life a little better to have a sounding board and some help
David

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 1999 air bag bulb may have been removed or burned out, yes check the Flashing code number

1998 and 1999 Ranger instrument clusters have the same wiring connections

duce07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
ok now the ABS light is off but still no Speedometer. the air bag is the passenger light is out ( 27 code ) so guess it is search wiring time for the speedometer, are there any fuses or anything I should look at for the Speedometer

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In 1999 Ranger Fuse #25, 7.5amp, in cab fuse box is for speedometer

duce07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Yep stranger stuff has happened again , went to the gas station got gas came out and the ABS light came back on :dunno:so guess I check the wiring anyway. Maybe I need to check all the fuses anyway! #25 is good the dome light went out when I pulled that out

Last edited:

duce07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Yep stranger stuff has happened again , went to the gas station got gas came out and the ABS light came back on :dunno:so guess I check the wiring anyway. Maybe I need to check all the fuses anyway! #25 is good the dome light went out when I pulled that out
SOLVEDChecked fuses all good checked wiring all good, and replace my cruse controls switches on the steering wheel thy were broken decided to replace the ABS/VSS on the differential Cleaned the connectors put Dielectric in put together gave it a test drive WOW it ALL WORKS-- thanks for the help RonD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals