• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel tank sending unit rebuild

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to replace my fuel tank sending unit. Unfortunately nobody has access to it anymore. Not even ford. I have a 1984 Ford Ranger with a 17 gallon midship tank. I had the truck at the shop at school and after dropping the tank and pulled the sending unit out I found out that I couldn't get the part. However, I was able to get my hands on a universal sending unit but when I got home I found it didn't have the pickup tube. Needless to say I was pissed. But then I got the idea of rebuilding the old one with the new sensor so I disconnected the old float assembly and the sensor. I flattened the mounting plate and drilled a hole through it so I could mount the new sensor. I hooked up the new float and zip tied the bottom of the sensor to the pickup tube and put it all back together and while the tank was down I replaced all the fuel lines and vacuum lines that were there and when I put all of it back together I hooked up a new gauge. The new sending unit has a different resistance rating than the old one so I got a compatible gauge and hooked it up and IT WORKS!!!

If you need to replace this unit and you have an early model ranger that has a mechanical fuel pump. This is what you need to do. The only modification is to the mounting plate. Be sure that you match the old angles of the old float with the new one. Any questions?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
pics? part numbers?

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
LMC sells the sending units.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not for the early ones. There is one for your 86 that is set up as needed to fit your in tank pick up pump. The 2.8 L Rangers don't have this pump and can't use a sending unit designed for it.

Good idea F84R, unfortunately I wanna keep using my stock gauge. I'll be trying to repair mine before long, think it'd a bad float on mine.

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the LMC catalog for my Ranger but it only goes back to like 1986 or 1985. The only one that looks close to it is for the Bronco II, but I am on a tight schedule I have got to get that truck through emissions ASAP. I couldn't sit and wait for a part. I think the universal parts were by sunpro or Autometer or something.

bltzmystr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 now 5.0 later
Transmission
Manual
cross reference the 1984 bronco ll fuel sender and you'll find they are the same as the 1984 ranger. for some reason the parts people haven't figured this out yet.

Razmear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Manual
cross reference the 1984 bronco ll fuel sender and you'll find they are the same as the 1984 ranger. for some reason the parts people haven't figured this out yet.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but can anyone verify that an 84 Bronco II sensor will work as a direct replacement for the 84 Ranger 2.8?
My wife's truck really needs a working fuel guage.
Thanks,
eb

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
soon-to-fire up 2.3 turbo lima
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
I have a 1984 2wd 2.0L ranger and have a lot of trouble finding the right replacement sender for my tank. always too big and not the right connector, but I just checked out the 1984 bronco parts on the bronco graveyard and i think that's it! about 2" wide hole to put the sending unit in, two pronged connector and pigtail. just ordered but i think it's gonna work.

not sure if it's compatible with 2.8 but can post pics of everything when it gets here.. if that helps..

RTWRIDER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 - V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Believe in something above all of us
I have a 1984 2wd 2.0L ranger and have a lot of trouble finding the right replacement sender for my tank. always too big and not the right connector, but I just checked out the 1984 bronco parts on the bronco graveyard and i think that's it! about 2" wide hole to put the sending unit in, two pronged connector and pigtail. just ordered but i think it's gonna work.

not sure if it's compatible with 2.8 but can post pics of everything when it gets here.. if that helps..
Did worked it? I'm in the same situation, but my is 2.8 V6 and I need 2 units, one for the 13 and the other for the 17 gallon tank. I just email them, I hope they have in stock.

Saltzman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is an old thread and I dont want to start a new one. Can anyone confirm if the 1984 bronco ll fuel sender will drop in for 2.8 Ranger?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You might reference this one Saltzman, and maybe a few others since.
Good luck

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually I had a book on the 83-92 Ranger and Bronco II and this is what I found about the sender there. Maybe not real informative but it had a couple illustrations and such

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals