• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

O/D issue 5R55E

robbiemohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there folks,
I have been reading every post about this issue for hours and none of them addressed my issue or they did not have a complete thread.

I have a 2000 Ranger 4x4, 4.0 V6 (V.I.N. 1FTYR11X6YPA36711). According to all that I have found, it should be the 5R55E. When I got it (used) the overdrive was finicky but would engage. Now, a few months later that is not the case. All other gears and shifting (including passing) seem to work fine. If I drive for awhile regardless of highway or surface streets, the O/D light will flash at me. The time frame for this happening is random and does not happen all the time. I have read about issues and fixes for just about every other gear/shifting problem on these forums but nothing complete about this one.

Does anyone have any idea what this is or where to start looking? I don't want to just start randomly replacing parts until it works again.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The OD light flashing means there is a diagnostic trouble code for the transmission. It is the transmissions version of a check engine light. Start by getting the truck scanned and figure out what the code(s) is before you do anything.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah flashing means code but you need to get it read in the same drive cycle. When you key off a lot of the trans codes reset.

Any slipping from 1st to 2nd? 2nd gear on a 5r55e is an overdriven 1st gear.

I bet your problem is torque converter lockup and not overdrive.

Overdrive is just a gear like all the others except it’s ratio is less than 1, so Input shaft is less than output shaft speed.

TC lockup will occurs in the last couple of gears in highway conditions. This locks the input and output of the TC so there is no slip.

When this happens you see a drop of about 200 RPMs.

I bet you are throwing P0741.

I had it and it was the torque converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals