• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition trouble with a 2.9

Joe Horton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Vehicle - 88 Ranger 4WD
Engine - 2.9
Transmission - Auto
The story ............ Bought this truck not running and don't have much history on it. Once I bought the truck I replaced head gaskets, had the heads worked (new style heads), replaced the distributor. pick up coil, module, plug wires, plugs. The engine will run but it acts as if the timing is retarded, after removing the spout and setting the timing there is no change in the characteristics at all, popping back through the intake at RPM'S above 3000. Removed one of the plug wires and installed a sparky while the engine is running and the spark is blue but will only jump around 1/8 of an inch. Tried this test on my Bronco II and it will jump around a inch or so and is evident that its alot hotter. Removed the primary coil from the Bronco and tried it on the Ranger.... no change it still has a weak spark. Also tried the computer from the Bronco and no change. Can anyone point me in the direction I need to try or has anyone ran into this before. Any info would be greatly appreciated.................

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Vehicle - 88 Ranger 4WD
Engine - 2.9
Transmission - Auto
The story ............ Bought this truck not running and don't have much history on it. Once I bought the truck I replaced head gaskets, had the heads worked (new style heads), replaced the distributor. pick up coil, module, plug wires, plugs. The engine will run but it acts as if the timing is retarded, after removing the spout and setting the timing there is no change in the characteristics at all, popping back through the intake at RPM'S above 3000. Removed one of the plug wires and installed a sparky while the engine is running and the spark is blue but will only jump around 1/8 of an inch. Tried this test on my Bronco II and it will jump around a inch or so and is evident that its alot hotter. Removed the primary coil from the Bronco and tried it on the Ranger.... no change it still has a weak spark. Also tried the computer from the Bronco and no change. Can anyone point me in the direction I need to try or has anyone ran into this before. Any info would be greatly appreciated.................
Are you sure you have the distributor in correctly ....not a tooth off??
Is there plenty room to adjust the base timing with "spout out" should be 10*TDC

Joe Horton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The distributor is in correctly. What does the EEC do? Does the EEC control coil voltage?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
The distributor is in correctly. What does the EEC do? Does the EEC control coil voltage?
EEC (Evaperative Emmissions Control) are you referring to the carcoal cansiter, or carbon canister? no that mostlikely wouldn't have anything to do with spark .

Engine computer...yes

recheck your ground wires...pull the battery cable to clear any codes...recheck

also have the ignition module checked, most parts store will do this free.
had 1 nearly out of the box go bad...

check for vacuum leaks

Joe Horton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What controls primary coil voltage ? If you check the wires coming to the coil I only have around 6 volts. Thats between the the red and green (positive & negative) coming to the coil. I you check the red wire to a common ground it has twelve volts ???????????

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
What controls primary coil voltage ? If you check the wires coming to the coil I only have around 6 volts. Thats between the the red and green (positive & negative) coming to the coil. I you check the red wire to a common ground it has twelve volts ???????????
HMMM...there is a electronic engine control relay on the passangerside fender that maybe affecting that...I thinking that if that was bad you wouldn't have any spark at all??
I have a resistor on the green wire from the coil. I had a broken wire on it....you may...or may not have this

If you don't have a repair manual,try this link ....for user id and password it is, (library)
http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=url,uid

i thought seen it the TRS tech library too. can't seem to locate it for ya.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals