• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Multiple Transfer Case Codes...need new electric shift transfer case?

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
So I had my cousin (owns his own shop) pull codes from my transfer case. It has been having intermitent problems of going into 4wd on its own, lights flashing when turning key on once in a while..etc

Here are the codes pulled:

P1832 Transmission transfer case differential lock-up solenoid circuit failure

P1838 Transmission transfer case shift motor circuit failure

P1850 Transmission transfer case contact plate B circuit failure

P1854 Transmission transfer case contact plate C circuit failure

P1866 Transmission transfer case system concern - servicing required

P1878 Transmission transfer case disengaged solenoid circuit failure

Currently the 4wd system is running fine now. I took it down a couple gravel alleys and put it in 4HI and 4LO, back into 2wd, back through 4hi, 4lo....everything atm seems to be fine.

Do you guys think all of these codes are telling me my electric transfer case is on its way out?
I was thinking of getting the AVM hubs because I was thinking it could be the auto hubs causing my problems. But with all those codes it looks to me like my electric t-case is on its way out....let me know what you guys think. I believe my cousin said he could get a reman replacement for around $120 or something like that.

Thanks,

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
So I had my cousin (owns his own shop) pull codes from my transfer case. It has been having intermitent problems of going into 4wd on its own, lights flashing when turning key on once in a while..etc

Here are the codes pulled:

P1832 Transmission transfer case differential lock-up solenoid circuit failure

P1838 Transmission transfer case shift motor circuit failure

P1850 Transmission transfer case contact plate B circuit failure

P1854 Transmission transfer case contact plate C circuit failure

P1866 Transmission transfer case system concern - servicing required

P1878 Transmission transfer case disengaged solenoid circuit failure

Currently the 4wd system is running fine now. I took it down a couple gravel alleys and put it in 4HI and 4LO, back into 2wd, back through 4hi, 4lo....everything atm seems to be fine.

Do you guys think all of these codes are telling me my electric transfer case is on its way out?
I was thinking of getting the AVM hubs because I was thinking it could be the auto hubs causing my problems. But with all those codes it looks to me like my electric t-case is on its way out....let me know what you guys think. I believe my cousin said he could get a reman replacement for around $120 or something like that.

Thanks,

i would bet its your GEM module, but you need to run a test on that, there are some scanners that run a check on it, i know of one from snap on, i am having the same issue with my explorer, so i disconnected the shift motor until i get to check the GEM and or replace it

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'll try to look into that when I get back from hunting. I was thinking if that was the issue I would be having some of the other problems associated with those GEM modules. I've been reading people have lighting problems, window problems.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I'll try to look into that when I get back from hunting. I was thinking if that was the issue I would be having some of the other problems associated with those GEM modules. I've been reading people have lighting problems, window problems.
yea usually, but if your 4 wheel low or high lights on the dash light up when this happens, it is probably the gem or the shift motor, not the actual t-case. disconnect the power to the shift motor for now and it wont be able to get out of 2wheel drive on its own

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals