Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > Ford Bronco II's

Notices

Ford Bronco II's Be sure to check out the Bronco II Corral!

Old 01-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
NEALD

NEALD is on a distinguished road
Default 2.3t Install

Just wondering if anyone here has done or knows what it entails to drop a 2.3t in a bII. I've heard of a few and seen one , but no details have been shared yet that I've found. I hear there is a frame difference that makes it impossible, but not it has already been done.. Anyhow was just wondering if it can be done(bolt in) with ranger parts or do mounts have to be fabbed?
NEALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 01-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
NEALD

My truck in an 89' 2.9 4x4 in case you were wondering.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Not "bolt in".
I believe the Lima engines required a cross member for motor mounts which B2 never had
RonD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
redhurricane

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger 2.3 turbo
I use this vehicle for: attracting the local police for regular conversations
redhurricane is on a distinguished road

no issues putting the 2.3T plant into the B2 or ranger. needs a rear sump pan, and you can modify the 2.9 engine mounts with the 2.3 block brackets to work. there are significant threads on doing the swap, in the tech section as well as the forced induction sub forum.

there are other considerations, your transmission won't work with the 2.3, different bell housing. the heater box will need modification to clear the turbo elbow unless you opt for a body lift or relocate the turbo to center mount with a header or flip the stock E3/E6 header.

take a look here, as a starting point.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...y/Turbos.shtml
redhurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
NEALD

I looked but haven't found any writeups on this, at least one with details on mounting. The link you gave is actually for a Ranger not a broncoII. I plan to adapt a 4r70w from a mid 90s F150 4wd. Thanks guys. Keep it coming.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
redhurricane

the 4x4 cross member is identical in the Ranger as it is in the Bronco II. there is no other engine mount variance. Haven't seen anyone that has adapted a 4R70w to the lima bolt pattern. Any opposition to the AOD? will hold any amount of power you can make out of the 2.3T.

What is your HP goal with the 2.3T?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
redhurricane

also, with the 4r70w being electronically controlled, how are you planning on managing that end? the control modules are $600+.

Swap the 4r70w internals into a 302 (Windsor pattern) AOD case, and use canfield's Windsor to lima adapter plate- gives you the 4r70w strength, without having to re-invent the wheel to make it adapt.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
NEALD

Are you sure the crossmember is the same to bolt in a 2.3? I just here rumors of it being different. Just want to be sure. So in that case I should just need 2.3 ranger 4x4 engine mounts, and a rear sump pan? As far as 4r70w adapts to 2.3 same as aod correct? I'm just going to control it with a CBAZA EEC with a Moates Quarterhorse. The trans I need will be from an engine using sbf pattern that's why I said a mid 90s f150 4wd.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
NEALD

My plans are anywhere from 350-500 hp (flywheel)
Old 01-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
redhurricane

I have had both an 87 bronco II and 87 Ranger, BOTH with the engines out side by side and inspected the cross members. I saw no differences between the two.

the 4r70w I believe is the Modular pattern, and the bell in integrated into the case- not removable like the C4 is. the Windsor bolt pattern and Modular bolt pattern are not the same. I have not seen an adapter plate for the modular pattern to 2.3(lima), whereas Canfield has already produced the Windsor to 2.3(lima)

You can choose to do whatever you like, I was just suggesting the simple route- AOD gives you plenty of strength and overdrive, without the need for electronic control.

If it were me, I would find an AOD with the 302(Windsor) bell, buy canfield's adapter and be done with it. Monster transmissions offers a 4x4 AOD for about $1000. How much HP do you want to support? (sorry, missed your last post. I still would choose the AOD for 500HP at the flywheel with some internal modifications)

Last edited by redhurricane; 01-30-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: missed post