• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BII Tank capacity

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know this has been discussed a few times recently, just thought I'd throw out there some recent findings.

87 BII, 2.9L, M50D, 8.8(3.73)
In the past, I had noticed that my (23gal) gas tank, when filling up, usually took around 12- 13 gals to reach full. I usually stop to refuel when it is alittle under 1/4 tank. Mileage is typically around 200 miles, give or take. I had recently replaced my non working sending unit with a new one, so I was questioning it's accuracy, although when I tested it at installation it met factory specs.

Today, I ran it down to a hair above "E", and popped my access door to take a look inside the tank. (If you haven't done the access door mod, you should, it is SO much easier to work on the sending unit) So the arc of full travel for the sending unit is alittle less than 12 inches (top to bottom), and the distance from where the fuel lines enter the tank, to the bottom of the tank is about 12 inches. The fuel level still in the tank was 5.5 inches above the bottom of the tank. When I filled up afterwards, I was at 250 miles, and it took 15 gals to fill. (Also around $50, but I don't wanna talk about THAT) That's 16.6 mpg, and 383 mile range.

SOOOOO...
When my gauge says "E" (empty) I still have around 8 gals of gas.
That should be enough to get me to a gas station, incase I don't plan well, I guess.

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
Last month I ran mine to to below empty only to discover roughly the same failure. So I added a sending unit w/new sock. Driven over 200 miles and gauge seems to be reading OK now.

Myself I would rather have it work so I have longer time between stops.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I dunno. I know my sender is shot out in the middle because it says empty after 150 miles and then comes back up just a hair after I hit the 300 mark.

I usually try to fill up after 350 miles and take 18 to 20 gallons with MPG numbers coming in around 18 or so. But that is a small sample and varies with my driving as well. I've probably run less than 10 full tanks through it since I bought it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals