• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Max Trac 3" Suspension Lift, 98-12 2WD

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
This review has been a long time coming. The parts have been on the truck and rolling as a daily driver for almost a year now, so you may consider this a long-term test. I've been avoiding writing this because I've been busy, and that hasn't changed, so I'm going to keep this short; ask any questions ITT or through p/m. I'll get back to you eventually.
As the description states, this is the 3" Coil, control arm and Shackle suspension lift kit for 1998 through 2012 2-wheel drive Rangers. I ordered through Canuck Motorsports and spent a little off of $600 on the whole shebang. Long story short, there were mixups in the supply chain, I was sent the wrong parts, and everything was made right by me thanks to the excellent staff at both Canuck Motorsports and Max Track Suspension. The people are all A+.
The parts in the box all look great, with high quality powder coat all around, urethane bushings for everything, and fully greasable ball joints with included zerk fittings.

Strangely, this kit lifts the front of the truck not with longer springs, but with shorter, stiffer ones. This led to a bit of back-and-forth with tech support.

This kit did require minor modification to the frame. Two existing slots needed to be drilled to round holes to mount the supplied bump stops. According to the latest images on the maxtrac store, this is no longer necessary; either way, this is no big task if you own a dremel.

Finally, the before and after. The installed tires are the same in both shots (31 inch), and rubbed badly with the stock springs in image one:

Finally, the finished product: my measurements came out about a half inch less than the promised three inch lift for my truck, but I'll forgive them all of that given the ladder rack, brush guard and toolbox!

The maxtrac website guarantees their springs will never break or sag, so it's a lifetime purchase, which is nice. I've seen no trouble daily driving these things in urban Florida for nearly a year. The driving dynamics have changed from having the geometry up front altered, but it isn't bad. That said, the stiffer front springs make the ride MUCH more harsh. Speed bumps are kinda scary at more than 15 mph.
Doestch (or whatever their name is) offers a shock for this kit, but I did my homework and found one at NAPA that has been doing the job nicely. unfortunately I lost the part # for it. Fortunately, you can search their site by shock size, and just pick the one with the correct ends but with 3" greater extended length and the same (or lower) compressed length for stock replacements. That last part is vital; or (like me) you'll just break 'em!
I spent years wondering about lifting my 2WD Ranger, and was unable to find anything written up and conclusive about the topic. Let me know if this was helpful to you, and ask if you have questions!

Last edited:

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Just updating with a comparison image thanks to a random guy in a Wal-Mart parking lot (thanks, anonymous dude!). Note that both trucks are sporting 31" tires and that mine (right) has got anywhere from 300-500lbs of extra weight in the form of ladder rack, toolbox, girlfriend riding shotgun, etc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals