• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EX help please

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I went out and started the ex for the first time in a few months and she didn't want to turn over at first, after she started she was running a bit rough and is making a funny noise almost like what a drill sounds like when its battery is dying. Also have an intermittent CEL though every time I get it to the parts store its gone. I just did plugs, wires, coil pack, air filter, pcv valve etc. the usual maintenance stuff, so I have no clue any ideas? :icon_confused:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
New gas formula's go bad pretty fast have you put new gas in it.

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did put some new gas in but it had about a half tank sitting in it, seemed to help a little. it didn't hesitate as bad going up hill. I think I'm going to get some injector clean and throw it in too to see if that helps and maybe a new filter once i run through the old gas. any other ideas would be appreciated so I have something else to try if that doesn't work

Cam10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
After a while of sitting an engine,once started, can make all sorts of noise and do crazy stuff. For instance, a little while ago I fired up a 91 Chevy with a 350 thats been sittin for 10 years. and let me tell ya. That engine would make all kinds of sounds and would not hold an idle. But once things started movin and the oil pump had a chance to catch up. things would come back to working normally.

As for the noise, is it produced as the engine is reved up? one place you could check would be the alternator. Sometimes corrosion can make it noisy. See if you can spray some WD-40 inside the housing. Another place would be to take a look under the explorer at listen to the starter. Though it's rather uncommon sometimes the pinion gear can stay meshed with the ring gear causing the engine to run the starter. If you do by chance pin point it to the starter. Give it a couple good whacks with a hefty hammer.

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
original factory starter ~facepalm~ why didn't I think of that, I didn't think about the oil pump either it has been in the mid 20's low 30's which explains why most of the noise went away after i drove it for about 45 minutes. I'm going to put some rust reformer on the starter and change the oil from the high millage synthetic blend to a full synthetic hopefully between that and the new fuel filter it'll clear it all up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals