• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dipstick Tube, please!

djhitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2-1987's
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Automatic
My, '87 B2 has, a 2.9l and it's dipstick tube is rusted, broken and leaking. I need a, replacement. Any ideas? I haven't even looked to see how to remove the old one. It looks bad. It's under, the exhaust manifold. Is there, a trick? Sound Man? Can you hear me? Anyone?:icon_confused:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It just pushes in there, just unbolt the bracket that holds it in there and pull upwards. Just find a piece of tube the same size and make a new one.

djhitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2-1987's
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Automatic
"Old Repair."

"Good call. That's kind of what I did, a few years back when it originally rusted through, higher up. I put a piece of 3/8 steel tube over, the rusted part of the old tube, matched the height and put small hose clamps on either end of the, new tube. Without looking, you're saying I can just stick a new tube in the hole? It'll just slide right in? That'd be great. Because without, a mirror, I can't see under that manifold for crap."

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You might be able to see it from the wheel well, can't remember.

djhitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2-1987's
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Automatic
"Will Bolts Turn?"

" I certainly hope the bolts turn, Quebeccian! I don't know what size, yet. maybe a 3/ or 5/16 head. I wonder how to get in there? I'm waiting for a milder day when the mood strikes. In the meantime, I've shoved it in so far it's seemed to stop the mainstay of the leaking."

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey i just picked up an 86 ranger friday for my girlfriend and it too has a rusted out dipstick, the guy did the rubber hose over it deal, it kinda works but its flimsy as hell and takes like ten pulls to get a decent reading. Just changed oil 2 hours ago and was reading half a quart low, the tube sags a bit. I read on another form that early explorer tubes and sticks will work? is that true, cause i got a 92 sitting in my driveway lol.

djhitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2-1987's
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Automatic
"Flimsy Flubber, tube."

"Really, New Yorker? I've heard alot of things work on B2s from early Explorers (not Vespucci). Like, leaf springs. I'd love to swap, leaf springs with an Explorer but the only Explorer, I can find is, a 2002. The length seems right but, I don't know. More reliable references tell me to find leafs from a, '91-'94. Only, '91s to '94s are rare in junkyards around here. I know to turn the center pin upside down and all that but will, a 2002 work? Sound man?
As far as, the dipstick tub is concerned. I'm gonna find, a piece of 3/8" steel tubing and see if I can get, the mount off, match the length and replace it."

djhitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2-1987's
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Oil leak!"

"Damn, there's an oil leak and it ain't from the dipstick tube."

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
"Damn, there's an oil leak and it ain't from the dipstick tube."
I thought all 80's model RBV's were supposed to have oil leaks....:icon_confused:

:icon_cheers:
B2

djhitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2-1987's
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Automatic
"Drip Drip!"

"Yes, B2 Addict, you are right again! I got other problems now, though. Acceleration bogging with the timing set and the Snap On scanner says, Fault 63,ECP circuit (never heard of it) and 90 (I think), idle postion sensor. I replaced sensor. Before and after it runs right about 50% of the time. I'm stumped."

Leadchunker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You may want to put some black rtv sealant on the tube then stick it in the hole. It will seal it up and will not break down with the heat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals