• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TFI troubles and woes.

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 86 Bii has been running rough for a while now, stumbles every now and then but just last month she started stalling when coming to a stop, unless foot on gas or in neutral before i start breaking. So I cheated and turned up my idle at the throttle body, its not stalling but still running rough of course and vacuuming the gas right out of the tank so I gotta get on with fixing it. I am thinking its the tfi. The truck has recently had its tank and sending unit replaced due to rust issues in the tank, fuel filter changed, new map sensor, msd street fire coil. The wires, rotor, cap, and plugs are a year and half old and will be changed soon, and pretty sure they're not the problem. High pressure pump is new and in tank was tested into a can of gas from the filter connection lol. Air filter is clean, vacuum lines all looked good, tranny was a little over filled? just a half quart to a quart drained it back to normal levels. I order a new ACCEL TFI from advance for $57 it'll be here in a few days. But looking at the truck the way the distributor is turned i can't get to one of the bolts on the tfi module, the lower back one is turned so the tip of a bolt stick up from the manifold or head(not sure which) is blocking the tool from getting to it! Horrible luck, but I need to get it out some how, my question is should i shave some of the bolts tip off with a file or dremmel, or turn the distributor? And how would I go about just turning the dist a little bit without messing up timing, I've never messed with or set timing, so I don't know to much about messing with the dist. Thanks for any help in advance:icon_cheers:

Oh, I do plan on doing the TFI relocation just not till the spring time when its getting warm outside. I couldn't find any aerostar's in the junkyard with the heat sinks.

fordfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I haven't experienced any of the heat prob's with my TFI in my 88 Ranger nor my 89 Bll. Only time I've had similar running issues was when the O2 sensor needed replacing-both times-both trucks....

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals