• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Bronco II lift qustions

hende

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thinking of adding a lift to my b2 but cant figure out what I want.
2 or 3 inch?
body or chassie

if i do a 2 or 3 chassie do i need to do anything to the steering?

if I do a body lift I dont seam to be able to find bumper brackets to lift my bumpers up to match do they make them?

tires a 30/10.50 will they look to small with a 3 inch lift?
Thanks hende

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
i have a james duff 3 inch lift in mine. got it along time ago. the lift has been in 2 other ranger. but i always like suspension lifts better than body lifts. it gets your oil pans and gas tank further off the ground. i could fit 32s with my lift. but i am rockin 31s for now. oh and i cant find a bumper bracket for the gen ones as well.....i have seam some people cut the front of the frame horn off and and relocate it.

ClaytonBigsby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turd.8
Transmission
Manual
I did a 3" body lift on mine and had NO probs. The kit came with a steering attachment, but I didn't even have to use it. It's been almost 20 yrs, but I think I just unscrewed the black plastic shield between the body and bumper and let it sit at an angle. It looks totally normal. I also put in 30's and have no probs with any clearance. Spent about $115. If you just want to get taller for bigger tires, it's the way to go. If you want to get off road, suspension.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't say it looks "totally normal".. the gaps are large... and the space between the body and frame in the rear fender area is noticeable to.

my problem w/ the body lift was the motor was low down in the hood, making it a pain to work on. you don't think about that till you have to do it... I'm already short, then raise the truck around the motor, but the motor still sitting down at the original spot; made it hard for me to reach stuff.

On some Bodylifts (different for each vehicle) you'll need to extend your gas tank filler neck, mine pulled off when I lifted the body. the shifters might need extended. the steering (unbolt it from the firewall when lifting) might need played with. the bumpers hang to low, but if you raise them, you'll have to raise your hitch and exhaust tips (if you have them)... so on, so forth... to make it look right, its a good bit of work.

personally I'd piece together a suspension lift w/ good brackets, custom extended radius arms, explorer axles, jeep XJ coils, and homemade sway bar disconnects for the front and belltech shackles and an add a leaf (if needed) for the rear. Of course you'll need longer shocks and probably brake lines. Plus I might be missing a few things...But if you search and find used parts you can do all this cheaper than the GOOD suspension lift kits and have a better setup.

hende

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a 3" body lift on mine and had NO probs. The kit came with a steering attachment, but I didn't even have to use it. It's been almost 20 yrs, but I think I just unscrewed the black plastic shield between the body and bumper and let it sit at an angle. It looks totally normal. I also put in 30's and have no probs with any clearance. Spent about $115. If you just want to get taller for bigger tires, it's the way to go. If you want to get off road, suspension.
how about the gas filler neck?

ClaytonBigsby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turd.8
Transmission
Manual
The gas filler neck?!?!?!? That may explain my poor gas mileage. Kidding, the only thing I noticed was the shifter (TK5) dropping two inches but that worked great for me. I didn't like it at the original height. I'm in "The Couve" if you want to take a closer look to make up your mind.

To 4.0B2, Either way it sounds like you're standing on a ladder ;) Jealous of the 4.0!!

Also, I like the bumpers where they are. Any taller and a car might slide under the rear and blow me up. The front is good for pushing another car without smashing its tailights. My $.2

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals