• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recommendations for a reasonably priced impact socket set, 3/8 and 1/2"?

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What does everyone use and recommend for a good impact socket set? I got a craftsmen 19.2 volt impact gun for Christmas and need the sockets now.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would find the local pawn shop and see what they have out. Sometimes you find some really good deals there. I bought a set of Snap On wrenches at one close to me for 1/4" through 1 1/8" missing the 9/16 for $22. I replaced the 5/8" and 1?2" through the Snap On guy for nothing. Of if worse comes to worse go to Sears and get the Craftsman Sockets, you can't go worng.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good is a relative term where tools are concerned, good,better,best would be harbor freight,craftsman,snap on. I think KOBALT is ok . are they needed for work monday morning or a hot rod project or home improvement that is broken right now! Warranty service on the weekend MEANS ALOT! if you bust a tool on Sunday night at 6 or 7 ,you are gonna LOVE craftsman.If you have $20.00 to spend you are headed for harbor freight. If you are a professional tech and need tools that WORK as hard as you do and can be hammers and seal instalation tools then you better flag down the next SNAP-ON/MAC/MATCO TRUCK!

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been looking at my craftssmen and snap-on catalogs this morning, and leaning to the craftsmen cuz I can't afford anymore snap-on right( that's all my dad will buy, we work in a bike shop together.) just wondering what else is out there.

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also I'm used to using them how the aren't supposed to be used so I'm really just looking to see what other mechanics use other then craftsmen and snap-on.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would say go with craftsman. Gotta love their lifetime warranty, and even with that in my mind, I don't break very many craftsman tools at all.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Snapon has a lifetime warranty also, and they are made to be used daily. Craftsman is built for the diy guy that won't beat on his tools often. I have mostly craftsman tools and love em. A friend of mine won't have anything to do with em. Kinda depends on what your going to use them for.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i went to harbor freight and got mine, metric and standard for $9.99 a set and they have a lifetime warranty

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ain't a lick of difference between the quality of Mac, Snap-On and Craftsman... only difference is that Mac and Snap-On will deliver tools to you and fix them in their mobile rigs.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you kidding me? Try using a craftsman impact set at a mechanic shop, the sockets don't make it to the end of the work day. I know cause I've used them to do tire changes and they break constantly. Snap on or Matco are made to handle daily abuse from a mechanic using a pro grade impact on it, none of my snap on tools ever broke at work. And yes they all have lifetime nowadays.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have had my Craftsman impact sockets for about a year and a half now and love them. They get used every day and have never broken. If you are looking to save some money Sunex makes some really good sockets and are reasonably priced. I picked up a 12pt set a while ago and they have pleasantly surprised me.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Ain't a lick of difference between the quality of Mac, Snap-On and Craftsman... only difference is that Mac and Snap-On will deliver tools to you and fix them in their mobile rigs.
You've got to be joking.

Craftsman will be fine, as long as you're not using them in a shop all day, every day. I work on forklifts and heavy equipment. My tools take a beating everyday. In my shop...... HF... wont hold up for a week; Craftsman... you may get a few months, possibly a year; Snap-on, Matco, Mac... it will last years.

Now this is based on a brutal environment where lesser tools just dont last. I use mostly Craftsman around the house for the little stuff. (everything short of pulling engines, trans, ect.)

Last edited:

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm saving up for snap on now due to wrecking a brand new 1/2-3/8" impact adapter and cracking a 29mm deep impact socket from crapsmen while replacing radius arm bushings just got both tools yesterday and broke today on a light job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals