• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

IAmTodd's '94 Explorer

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been soaking up the information around here for a few weeks while I've been working on a recently acquired Explorer. I'm not a stranger to the Explorer, this is number 4 for me but this is the most work I've had to do with one.

Mine has had quite a rough life in the past few years. I found it in the local classifieds advertised with a bad transmission. I called up the guy and found out he was fed up and wanted scrap price for it, $350. I went to check it out and I found a reasonably sound truck with an A4LD in the cargo around along with the 1354 and drive shafts. Things checked out and I figured worst case I could part it out and easily get my money back. Title was signed over and with just a hair over 158k miles it was mine.

The pump has siezed in the trans so it was pretty much worthless. I decided from that point I was going to perform a manual swap and get the M5OD in there. I pried the bellhousing off the trans and mounted it up to the engine to make sure it actually ran. Running was ok, poor throttle response but no smoke, knocks, or tapping(yay!). Later on I discovered so very worn plugs causing some issues:

I also discovered the previous owners chopped a hole in the floor to get to the upper trans bolts, stupid. Cleaned that up and patched up the holes after I pulled the motor.

Next was time to replace the radius arm brackets and bushings. Again another hack job on the one side:

This past weekend I got the engine back in and the accessories mounted up. New calipers, pads, and converted to manual hubs were also done. Next up is the trans and hopefully driving it!

Future includes 2 inch suspension lifted and 2 inch body lift along with some new shocks and 32s. She also needs some body work to get rid of the normal rust spots. Interior has been clean and I snagged some nice Mountaineer seats for the front.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals