• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2 D35, & 8.8 swap .. need advise..

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have an 87 B2 and am looking into swapping the 7.5 & D28 for the D35 & 8.8, ... i hear its a "practicly bolt on" swap, BUT the explorers i see have the axle ontop of the leafs in the rear and all i have found are auto locking hubs.... So does this mean i have to reposition the perches to avoid sag in the rear, and get the axle below the leafs? Will i have to purchase aftermarket locking hubs or can the D28 Locking hubs interchange? Thnx .

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yes, you have to move the perches.

D28 hubs will not work. You need manual hubs and all the hardware (wheel bearing lock nuts, washer, etc. You can get factory D35 locking hubs from a junkyard, or the Warn Jeep hubs. If you go that route you still need the hardware.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven't been able to find hubs at any of my junkyards, but all the hardware you need will be there. You can reuse the hardware if its in good shape, just get new bearings.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the classifieds on here or place an ad in the parts wanted

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
explorers are sprung under and your b2 is sprung over, so yeah you need to redo the perches. the width is also different even if the b2 was also sprung under.

i ground off all the EX brackets and perches and welded on new ones. you'll also have to get new shock mounts. ballistic fab sells shock tabs with a 3.25" radius cut into them for $2 a pair. you can get new perches for around $25 depending on where you look.

contact TRS member AllanD if you want some D35 manual locking hubs. he sells them and usually has a set laying around. i got a set for $80 shipped from him with everything i needed to convert from my crappy auto hubs. there's also a step by step how-to in the tech library

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yep.. they've pretty much covered it. each swap is a little different.
i'd grab a disc brake rear axle if you can find one...but then you have to find a matching geared front d35 (since an explorer w/ disc brake 8.8 rear will have SLA front axle, not d35 ttb).

the d35, if you have a lift, i'd recommend making sure you have good drop brackets so you don't puncture your third with the bracket. the drop plate on a lot of the cheaper lifts are enemies of the d35 third member.

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey thnxk for the advise, guys.. i wasnt planning on lifting too much, maybe 2" bL.. i did notice that the width of the Explorer was about 3" different than my B2, if i have to relocate the perches that shouldnt be a prob... the only other thing i would be concerned with is the yoke size for the 1350 vs the 1354 and if it didnt work it looks like its custom DL work =D i found a D35 with the 3.73 but it was a pile so i decided to go with drum.. So in the width of the rear being different, is the front also different i didnt measure that =p if it doesnt concern my install i wont worrie about it.. and i found some Manual hubs and kit for around 180.00 so ill keep looking till im at that point of the build.. thnx again..

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh... and as for the crosmember clearence for stock drop brkets hitting the new D35 Diff .... have any of you ran into any probs with the clearence??

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The only time the D35 diff would hit the bracket is if your lift kit uses a drop plate extension for the stock bracket. If you have the stock brackets by themselves (or you have a lift that fully replaces both axle brackets), you should be fine.

Also, there should be a 1.5" total width difference on the axles (both front & rear), not 3".
Last, the t-case flanges are all interchangeable, both 1350 & 1354, so if there's a difference (there shouldn't be on your '87), you can swap them. The 8.8" axle however does have a different size companion flange than your 7.5, so you would need to change things there (which is just as well anyway, the stock dual-CV rear driveshaft is one step short of worthless. With even a short lift, it'll make that step to worthless quite easily. I suggest getting a double-cardan U-joint type shaft for it).

Danno87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awsome!!! Thnx so much. With yer advise i think im ready to give er hell, i alread have the double cardan driveline so im good there and now i know the yoke/flange is swapable im ready to go. As for the front i also have a catdan style, thnx to the previous owner... you guys are awsome .. thnx for the tips.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals