• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turn signals not working

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I recently purchased a new to me 1998 Ranger. When I got it the brake lights weren't working, none of the dash lights worked, and while driving it home, the turn signals stopped working. Brake lights were the switch on the pedal, and the instrument cluster just needed new bulbs.

I bought a new multifunction switch, which at first fixed the turn signals. The truck sat another week while I did some other repairs. Went to drive it Sunday and the turn signals again were not working. The wipers and high beams are working, but no turn signals. I can't find any blown fuses or broken wires. Is it possible the new multifunction switch went bad, or could there be something else?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
check the grounds and body connector?

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am not sure if the 1998 uses the same flasher unit as my '92 but at times I have to "tap" my fuse box to get my blinkers to work again.

I would look at the flasher and it connections. Just a thought.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had a similar issue with my signals for a bit until I figured out, same as you I swapped the multi-function switch and that temporarily fixed the problem. My truck's tilt column (over time) de-pinned the turn signal switch connector on the female side (looking at the plug second in from the top-right IIRC), popped back in and signals worked. The new multi-function switch lasted a few months before it crapped out, luckily I kept the original MF switch, popped it in and has been working fine since. Play with the tilt first and see if that remedies the issue and that's probably your culprit.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
check the grounds and body connector?
Haven't found anything yet.

I am not sure if the 1998 uses the same flasher unit as my '92 but at times I have to "tap" my fuse box to get my blinkers to work again.

I would look at the flasher and it connections. Just a thought.
I thought maybe a flasher problem too, but to be honest I can't even find it, it is definitely not the same setup as my 92. When my flasher went bad on my 92 the signals illuminated just didn't flash, this is doing absolutely nothing.

I had a similar issue with my signals for a bit until I figured out, same as you I swapped the multi-function switch and that temporarily fixed the problem. My truck's tilt column (over time) de-pinned the turn signal switch connector on the female side (looking at the plug second in from the top-right IIRC), popped back in and signals worked. The new multi-function switch lasted a few months before it crapped out, luckily I kept the original MF switch, popped it in and has been working fine since. Play with the tilt first and see if that remedies the issue and that's probably your culprit.
Thank you I will check that, this does have a tilt column.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
So the connecter that goes into the switch was actually what was causing the problem. I took the cover off of the steering column, messed with the connection and the blinkers started working. The plug itself is actually pretty brittle, and the tabs that hold it to the switch broke while I was messing with it, also one wire wouldn't stay in the plug due to the tab holding it in was loose and brittle as well.

Napa sells a new plug, and one of my local stores has it in stock so I'm heading there now.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHEC124

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So the connecter that goes into the switch was actually what was causing the problem. I took the cover off of the steering column, messed with the connection and the blinkers started working. The plug itself is actually pretty brittle, and the tabs that hold it to the switch broke while I was messing with it, also one wire wouldn't stay in the plug due to the tab holding it in was loose and brittle as well.

Napa sells a new plug, and one of my local stores has it in stock so I'm heading there now.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHEC124
Glad to hear you got it figured out!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals