• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need blower motor help

1eyeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
1st time on site so bare with me. have a 1995 4.0 L ranger 4x4. have changed out the resistor, blower motor and the connector to motor. and cleaned a ground I found close to blower motor. still have the problem of sometimes the blower motor won't come on. With. truck running if I pop the hood and unplug the blower motor and plug it right back in it will come on and work fine all speeds. may work fine for a week, may not work next time I start the truck. Have had the truck since new, first time she's been a pain. If any one has a way to fix this intermittent problem I would be grateful.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked the connector to the blower motor resistor? This are notorious for having corrosion on the terminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1eyeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yes changed the connector out with the resistor.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yes changed the connector out with the resistor.

Did you replace both connectors (resistor and motor)? You said motor connector in the first post, but resistor in your response.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Clean the blower motor connector with electrical cleaner and put back together with dielectric grease. Use a jewelers screwdriver to fully push the pins in on both connectors for the blower motor after you put them together.

1eyeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yes both resistor and motor connectors replaced

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
It might be the motor itself. My grandpa's 98 f150 would randomly not come on. I would kick it and it would start. It finally got to the point it would not turn on at all no matter how big of hammer I used. Installed a new one and has worked ever since.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It might be the motor itself. My grandpa's 98 f150 would randomly not come on. I would kick it and it would start. It finally got to the point it would not turn on at all no matter how big of hammer I used. Installed a new one and has worked ever since.

If that’s the case here is a way to test.

https://youtu.be/9t8BkpavIoE

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Blower motors are controlled by GROUNDING

There will be a Blower Motor Relay in the engine fuse box, with the 40amp Blower motor fuse
This relay and fuse give the blower motor 12volts, pink/white stripe wire at blower motor
The Relay is activated by Fuse #2(cab fuse panel), 10amp, key on power, and Relay is Grounded by the control panel in any position EXCEPT OFF, off cuts the relays ground so blower 12volts is cut.

So with key on, control panel on DEF, for example, Blower Relay should be closed and you should have 12volts(battery volts) on the Pink wire at the blower motor.
If thats not happening then check Fuse#2 and Blower relay

The Speed control selects different GROUND paths through resistors(resistor block), which is the same as varying the "+" voltage but safer since you are running multiple GROUND wires in the dash and thru the firewall so a short at the worst just makes blower run at HIGH, no "magic smoke" or melted wires, lol.

Blower motor power path:
Battery"+"--------40amp fuse----Relay--------"+"blower motor"-"-------resistor block----------speed control-----GROUND--Battery"-"

Blower Relay power path:
Battery"+"----------ignition switch----------Fuse#2----------"+"Blower Relay"-"--------control panel------GROUND---Battery"-"

Last edited:

1eyeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info I'll check that out, hopefully I'll find the solution. did test and found problem bad connection at relay. THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge works like new again!!!

Last edited:

1eyeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
tested as you said, long story short test lead me to a dirty connection at the relay. cleaned terminals reinstalled and it's been working fine. I never would have guessed relay as I thought a relay either worked or doesn't. still learning new stuff all the time. THANK YOU for the information you helped in a big way!!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for the update and the fix

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals