Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Non Truck Discussions > The Tailgate

Notices

The Tailgate Off-topic forum. Some posts may be NSFW / NSFK.

To post in the Tailgate forum you must be a member of the Tailgate Usergroup. Click HERE to join the Tailgate Usergroup.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #11
scotts90ranger

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: holding down the driveway
scotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the rough

nah, it's a 289 so 5 on 4.5 I believe and an 8" rear, already did the Grenada spindle swap but that's where I got over my head like 12 years ago and life got in the way of everything... so it's disc brake in the front but still manual. Really shouldn't take much to get it going, new coil, rebuild carb, clean fuel tank, new battery, change trans fluid, alignment and bleed brakes and other diddly things...
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 09-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #12
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts90ranger View Post
nah, it's a 289 so 5 on 4.5 I believe and an 8" rear, already did the Grenada spindle swap but that's where I got over my head like 12 years ago and life got in the way of everything... so it's disc brake in the front but still manual. Really shouldn't take much to get it going, new coil, rebuild carb, clean fuel tank, new battery, change trans fluid, alignment and bleed brakes and other diddly things...
Oh I am jealous. My mom's 64 is kicking my butt. Almost everything is ready to go and reverse won't work. Erratic line pressure in R only and no engagement. Trans seems to work fine otherwise.

I don't have the time or desire to tear into it, and I already rebuilt it once, which didn't seem to take, so I am dubious of my ability to fix it.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:02 AM   #13
scotts90ranger

scotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the rough

I'll ask my buddy tomorrow if I remember... he rebuilds transmissions for a living, it's crazy watching him throw a transmission together without watching what he's doing because he's done it so many times...

Those are a C4 if memory serves, right? hell, he'll know... he'll scoff at a Ford question but he's used to it from me

By manual in my post above I meant manual brakes, it's an auto as well, last time I drove it that part worked fine but you never know...
Old 09-22-2018, 03:55 AM   #14
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
I'll ask my buddy tomorrow if I remember... he rebuilds transmissions for a living, it's crazy watching him throw a transmission together without watching what he's doing because he's done it so many times...

Those are a C4 if memory serves, right? hell, he'll know... he'll scoff at a Ford question but he's used to it from me

By manual in my post above I meant manual brakes, it's an auto as well, last time I drove it that part worked fine but you never know...

Yeah, it's a C4. And I figured you meant manual brakes. I am jealous since yours seems to need so little work.

Yeah, no engagement to reverse, sometimes it will go in and spin on the jack stands, but pretty rare. It never moves the weight of the car, and stopping the wheels can make it lose engagement. At idle line pressure in R will start at 150 (correct pressure) and then start to fluctuate a little, getting progressively worse until the needle jumps violently between 125 and 175. If I goose it the pressure settles back at 150 for about 10 seconds and then the needle starts jumping again.

I haven't had any time to work on it in a few weeks between work and getting ready for winter, but any insights he might be able to offer would be awesome. I apparently no longer know anyone who does old school automatics.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.

Last edited by adsm08; 09-22-2018 at 03:59 AM.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #15
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh ok. 10 hole wheels made me think of the factory alloy wheels for a 4 eye foxbody.

Check out my Build Thread

Check out my NAIAS Ranger Trip

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #16
scotts90ranger

They're aftermarket of some form, and honestly don't remember if they are 10 hole. It's got 7" wide wheels in the front and 6" wide in the front with 235 width tires front and rear... also they're the old style dual pattern wheels that have egg shaped holes that take those goofy lug nuts with washers...

I'm hoping it's just that little work, that's just what I know of , it has been sitting around 10 years... I know it took about 1/4 mile of dragging it on pavement back and forth to get the rear brakes loosened up so it would roll...
Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
scotts90ranger

Ok, he said the check ball location in the valve body, they moved over the years on the C4. Other than that and before you dig into it he recommended doing some driving to find out the cause as the low/reverse band is suspect as well. If you drive, stick it in manual first and see if you have engine braking, if you do it's not the low/reverse band if you don't it's not engaging. Also drive and make sure you have 3 distinct gears, I don't remember what he said about holding 3rd but it pointed to something else if it didn't.

Hope that helps.