• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ranger ttb dana 35 knuckle swap

RangerRough

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6.5"
Tire Size
35" KM3
Hello community!
Been doing a lot of research and come to a crossroads. Im installing a class II skyjacker 6” lift to fit 35” tires, i was reading the builders guide and it stated that its advantageous to swap stub and knuckle from a dana 44 if you plan on running 35” or lager tires. Then i read that the stock 35 ttb can handle 35” tires max. Does anyone have any experiance using the stock 35 ttb without swapping out the knuckles and its reliability? It seems like a hard swap with all the reaming and i am really not a professional mechanic (newbie here trying to learn). Or does anyone know how much it would cost to pay someone to do the swap? I dont want to be on a trail and break down because i am runing too large of tires. Any input, suggestions, knowledge is greatly appreciated!!!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
gearing, actual power, and actual tire size combined with usage goals.

for mall crawlin you can run 44 in tires...it would kill the bearings regularly but manageable.

stopping with big tires is a big reason for the knuckles, the bearing spacing really helps.. its a bit of work for sure....there is several ways to do it.

wheelin with lockers.....37 light is ok

RangerRough

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6.5"
Tire Size
35" KM3
gearing, actual power, and actual tire size combined with usage goals.

for mall crawlin you can run 44 in tires...it would kill the bearings regularly but manageable.

stopping with big tires is a big reason for the knuckles, the bearing spacing really helps.. its a bit of work for sure....there is several ways to do it.

wheelin with lockers.....37 light is ok
Yeah i geared my truck 4.88, mostly going to use for overlanding and hunting fishing expeditions so i need it to be solid and reliable. Dont want anything breaking if its preventable or really needed.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
if its got a trutrac or open front diff you should be ok.

but if your weight is overly high you can run into issues with the bearings.

run it ... keep a spare spindle out with rotor assembly....if it has issues...upgrade.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that, I'm running a D35 stock with 5.13's in it (35" tires). I haven't been the nicest to it in the last 8 years but it hasn't given me any troubles... haven't put a ton of miles on it but it gets ridden hard and put away wet, bad alignment (not enough to kill tires, but not great either), I ignore it really... a few years ago it started grumbling, turned out I toasted a wheel bearing, not a huge deal but would have been nice if I had the spare parts I had at home :).

When I say I'm not that nice to it, 3 of the last 8 years it drove to Christmas Valley Oregon from the Salem area, the last year it towed an enclosed trailer with a Honda 350X in it and a bunch of pallets and other camping junk which was around 7500lb combined with the truck. Since then I acquired an F350 Diesel and getting older I put the camper in the back and tow the Ranger with the 350X in the bed of the Ranger...

Not as mean to mine as Bobby is but I've considered the same as you but haven't gotten that far, hasn't been an issue so I haven't done it... I do have a full set of spares and try to bring them with me when I remember...

RangerRough

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6.5"
Tire Size
35" KM3
Yeah, that, I'm running a D35 stock with 5.13's in it (35" tires). I haven't been the nicest to it in the last 8 years but it hasn't given me any troubles... haven't put a ton of miles on it but it gets ridden hard and put away wet, bad alignment (not enough to kill tires, but not great either), I ignore it really... a few years ago it started grumbling, turned out I toasted a wheel bearing, not a huge deal but would have been nice if I had the spare parts I had at home :).

When I say I'm not that nice to it, 3 of the last 8 years it drove to Christmas Valley Oregon from the Salem area, the last year it towed an enclosed trailer with a Honda 350X in it and a bunch of pallets and other camping junk which was around 7500lb combined with the truck. Since then I acquired an F350 Diesel and getting older I put the camper in the back and tow the Ranger with the 350X in the bed of the Ranger...

Not as mean to mine as Bobby is but I've considered the same as you but haven't gotten that far, hasn't been an issue so I haven't done it... I do have a full set of spares and try to bring them with me when I remember...
WOAH! Thats actually really awesome, yeah i am going to purchase some extras and keep them available on the trail and just use it as is. If i do get the hankering to swap them out in the future i might, but for now stock D35 it is. I really appreciate all your comments and responses :)

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
...those lockouts are beef

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't seem to find the post but some where either here or pirate4x4 a guy swapped everything ( axle end shaft, rotors, bearings, spindle and ect) from the a late bronco on to 95-97 knuckle s.he made his own caliper bracket.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I am doing a 5x5.5 conversion on my 2 door Explorer - using the "mappyjack" method where you use D35 knuckles but run pre-79 GM truck spindles, hubs, etc on them and redrill the hub and rotor for 5x5.5. Or your could keep the 6 lug pattern and get adapters for the rear (needed anyway for the conversion no matter which way you go.)

Reaming the beams and using D44 knuckles out is another way of accomplishing this but either way you're buying parts and tools... I like the mappyjack method because you reuse your steering and don't even need so much as an alignment afterwards.

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's what I was thinking of!! I thought it used bronco but you're right it's gm parts. I was going to use 8 lug stuff when I was looking into it

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
on the abs 5 bolt bronco/150 spindles, you can weld the wilwood bracket directly to the edge of the spindle and cut off the d35 stuff if its the older d35 pin style brakes.

there is a kit for the early 70's drum broncos you can redrill to 5 holes and use that as well...last i seen it was 1000 bux. but lots of race trucks use it.

the junkyard late abs bolt on brakes, you make an adapter bracket and run the abs 150/bronco spindle and rotor on the abs style bolt on brake ranger knuckle..hard to find those where i shop...

its easy enough to diy an adapter bracket...that caliper run 94-2002 on the e150 van...and the last two years fullsize ttb.

using chevy spindles....you want the small bearing spindle. the ford rotor and bearing seal setup works on that if you want 5x5.5 pattern.

if you dont mind the 6x 5.5 pattern...just rob it all off of a 10 bolt...

make sure you use the longer studs and stub shaft to match spindle.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The early Bronco drum brake conversion kit uses the GM small spindle as far as I know - it's almost all off the shelf parts, just sold as a kit. $600 at Bronco Graveyard. You could use that entire kit on a D35, I think, and drill your knuckles for the GM spindles.

$600 is really not a bad price for all that's included, I thought it was around a grand.

RangerRough

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6.5"
Tire Size
35" KM3
Most of this sounds pretty hard for me, im just learning all this as i go, this is my first custom offroad build. How hard would y’all say on a scale of 1-10 for the mappyjack method?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals