• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger 2.3 5 speed about to drive me nuts. Needs some HELP!!

JamesH

Reaction score
I'd say you found at least most of tour problem.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking at this thinking the cam is a tooth off and that the oil pump is on the wrong mark. Correct me if I'm wrong. And can I achieve tdc on crank without removing the harmonic balancer?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The keyway should be at 12 o'clock with the crankshaft at TDC. If you can see the groove in the damper or pulley, set it to midnight and you are there.
Otherwise, set using the belt cover, and make a mark on the nose of the crankshaft or on one of the pulleys. I'd mark it so TDC was with the mark at noon. More light than at midnight.
tom

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The oil pump doesn't matter, you can put it where ever you want - NOT true on 2.3's with a distributor, but yours doesn't have one so the only thing spinning is the oil pump.

You don't have to remove the crank pulley to reset the timing - the only time that's necessary is if you're removing the belt.

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so after moving the cam one tooth this is what I ended up with. Will it work or not and I'm at tdc according to the cover.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I do not think you have any problem, as going a tooth in either direction would make things worse. Should be fine.
tom

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the only change that made was seems like it has a little more power than it had before. Still have the low idle miss and the intermittent take off sputter. And sputter in between shifts unless I ease in to the throttle between shift. Check mode $06 data and I'm getting a tid $10 cid $21 fail and a tid $41 cid $12 and I have a p1443 code pending.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Regarding your P1443 code in case that becomes an actual code rather than just pending-

It pertains to the evap system as well as 1445 and neither is a very specific code. The evap system basically consists of The solenoid/purge valve, thermistor ("thermal resistor"), your carbon canister, vacuum lines running from the tank, and a small plastic valve on top of the tank. It is supposed to suck gas vapors from the tank (which in the old days vented to atmosphere) through your engine, thereby possibly gaining a small amount of fuel economy and reducing evaporative emissions.

This is a terrific write up on how to test the various parts of the evap system on the 2.3:

http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/Aerostar/OBD-P1443/FR_EPS.htm

Of course make sure your lines running from the tank to the carbon canister, and from the carbon canister to purge valve, thermistor, and to the intake are all intact, or just replace them.

Also, be sure to test the electrical connectors that go to your purge valve and thermistor. In my case, my thermistor and purge valve and lines were all ok, but the electrical pigtails going to these two components were damaged and not allowing full voltage to the purge solenoid and thermistor. Also make sure your carbon canister is not plugged with debris- there are two vent plugs on top of the canister you can pop out to allow you to see into the top. My canister was totally plugged with ancient dead insects.

Sorry I can't offer any more help on your miss + sputter.

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now my next problem is my heater is just luck warm flushed core and can't find vacuum leak anywhere but I dont have any vacuum to the grey vacuum line under the hood going to the valve on heater hoses. Any suggestions

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Wow. Kinda hard to read. Find a 'return' key, and dance on it a bit to see if it's broken.
Here is some punctuation in case you need it: ..... ,,,,, ?????

The vacuum routes from the intake, tees into a reservoir, and then leads to the back side of the heater control panel. When the controls are moved from cooling to heating, or the temp control is moved from the coldest setting, a vacuum valve should allow vacuum to open the coolant control valve allowing hot coolant to flow through the heater core.
Check for vacuum at the control. Check for vacuum at the reservoir. If the MODE is controlled by vacuum, and it works, then the vacuum problem is more narrowed in areas to look. A vacuum source should be at the control for MODE and HEAT, so figure out how the control works or check the vacuum line leading to the valve on the heater hose.
tom

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have come to a conclusion that I'm not get vacuum to the grey line going to the valve on the heater hoses but cannot find a leak or kink or reason why

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The oil pump doesn't matter, you can put it where ever you want - NOT true on 2.3's with a distributor, but yours doesn't have one so the only thing spinning is the oil pump.

You don't have to remove the crank pulley to reset the timing - the only time that's necessary is if you're removing the belt.
i think this is inaccurate. 95 + have a cam sensor behind the oilpump. The marks need to be lined up.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Terryt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes I figured that out when I took it apart and the oil pump was in time and the cam was one tooth out seems like it made a little difference but wasn't a complete fix

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
i think this is inaccurate. 95 + have a cam sensor behind the oilpump. The marks need to be lined up.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
I don't recall seeing anything like that when I did the timing belt (more than once) on my old '96, I suppose it's possible that it had an earlier engine installed at some point, though. If this is indeed the case with 95 up I stand corrected.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals