• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engines dies while driving then comes back to life

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
It seems that on really hot days (the past two months here) towards the end of my 10 mile commute to and from work my engine dies as if the gas has been turned off. I pump the gas, turn off a/c, and it spits shutters as if the gas is on, off, on, off. Just at the moment I think I'm going to have to pull off the road it comes back to life and drives normally. It hasn't happened on every drive but it's becoming more frequent. What could be causing this?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ranger 2.8l engine ran a carburetor, so very low pressure in the fuel line near the exhaust and on top of engine.
And on hot days carb fuel line can get hot enough for the gasoline to start to vaporize, this stops the flow of fuel, like running out of gas, engine can even stall completely.

There are several "fixes" for Vapor Lock, including moving to a colder climate, lol.

You can insulate fuel line near exhaust, or put in a heat shield.
Old wooden clothes pins clamped on fuel lines act as heat sinks.
Adding an air defector to blow air on that area while driving
Google: Vapor Lock fix.

Long shot is carbs float bowl is getting too hot, gas is boiling inside, but intake has coolant circulating inside so you would see temp gauge climbing if that was happening

TFI ignition could also act up when hot, read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

But that is usually an outright stall and a no start when hot.

And in the same vain the ignition coil can start acting up when very hot.

Good test for any of this is carrying a squirter bottle of water.
When engine acts up pull over and pop the hood, spray water on 1 part only, and if cooling it off helped, then that's the problem part/line, if not squirt next part

Last edited:

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron this helps!

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok I think I have this figured out!
It’s the ignition module on the back of the distributor. The silicon that comes with a new module isn’t a heat sink compound. I ordered heat sink compound that is normally used on computers. After applied liberally, the truck has not cut out on hot days. And I’m sure that since I’ve posted this it will naturally happen again tomorrow because my Ranger hates me.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You can mount the module remotely using a computer heat sync. All it takes is three wires and some spade connectors. You may get lucky and find the actual remote TFI harness. Then you can mount the module on the right apron nex to the coffee can (vacuum reservoir)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals