• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2WD Ranger 2.9/mazda-5 - 302/AOD Swap

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 88 Ranger 2WD with tired eng/trans. I can get a 302/AOD for a couple hundred bucks so I thot Id do the swap since 2.9 parts are getting scarse around here. I was gonna just make it a carb eng but I know the AOD needs the ECM to work. Can I use the AOD on a carbed motor or would it be easier to use the whole EFI setup?

morse johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Aod can run without ecm you only need the ecm for vss on aod other then that its just connecting the kickdown cable.(vehicle speed sensor)

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does the VSS determine the shift points and the OD engagement?

morse johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
no the kickdown cable does that if you dont connect the kickdown cable on a aod tranny you might go 1 mile down the road and your tranny could be no good. its case by case i know cause i have did it before. its looking for pressure to shift them gears thats where the cable comes in play.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
An AOD trans does not require an ECU, and does not use the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

It has a Throttle Valve (TV) cable that controls pressure and shift firmness based on throttle position- it hooks to the throttle body , or in your case, carb linkage.

Your speedometer cable will bolt right into the AOD.

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know these may be stupid questions but I've never done a swap like this before so please bare with me.

I know that my 2.9 has the throttle cable hooked to the TB in the front of the engine, do I need change to a shorter throttle cable or how do I hook this up.

I was going to use a 4160 Holley with Ford kickdown. The throttle is on the driver side and the trans kickdown is on the left. Where does the TV cable hook to the carb, or does it hook to the carb at all. Sorry if these are basic questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
The TV cable will hook to the carb. Not sure if you can use the pieces you have, or need a specific adapter. Some google searching will help.
The throttle cable may or may not fit... How's that for help?! I used the stock cable, but my throttle body (mine is fuel injected) is on the passenger side.

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK my AOD is out of an old 85 LTD. It has column shift. How do I make it a floor shift, or can it be done. I don't know if column can be converted or not. Has anyone done this?

Dieseldale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK my AOD is out of an old 85 LTD. It has column shift. How do I make it a floor shift, or can it be done. I don't know if column can be converted or not. Has anyone done this?
in the same boat, any luck with this?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Your speedometer cable will bolt right into the AOD.

This is NOT true on a 1987 2.0 5spd 2wd truck using the last year 92 AOD. The speedometer cable on the 87 is far too large to insert into the hole in the side of the AOD. I used a speedo cable and VSS sensor from Modern Driveline. That way my ECU has the signal it needs and my original Ranger speedo as well as my later installed 140mph Ford Motorsports speedo both work correctly.

GB :)

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This is NOT true on a 1987 2.0 5spd 2wd truck using the last year 92 AOD. The speedometer cable on the 87 is far too large to insert into the hole in the side of the AOD. I used a speedo cable and VSS sensor from Modern Driveline. That way my ECU has the signal it needs and my original Ranger speedo as well as my later installed 140mph Ford Motorsports speedo both work correctly.

I don't know where you found this to be true but Ford never changed the size of the speedometer hole in their transmissions. They used the same cables and gears from the 1950's all the way to the end on the Mechanical speedometers and even afterwards until the electronic speedos by using a sensor in the speedometer hole driven by a gear. When I did my swap in an 89 Ranger the speedometer cable fit perfectly in both a C4 and later a Toploader 4 speed. The AOD had the same hole every other Ford transmission had.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I know these may be stupid questions but I've never done a swap like this before so please bare with me.

I know that my 2.9 has the throttle cable hooked to the TB in the front of the engine, do I need change to a shorter throttle cable or how do I hook this up.

I was going to use a 4160 Holley with Ford kickdown. The throttle is on the driver side and the trans kickdown is on the left. Where does the TV cable hook to the carb, or does it hook to the carb at all. Sorry if these are basic questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
I used an 85 Mustang throttle cable when I did my swap. Same cable from any Fox Mustang with a carbed V8 should work.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You can use any aftermarket floor shifter for this. They all use a cable instead of a linkage. To use a linkage, you'd need a Stock Ford floor shifter then a different linkage arm in the transmission, one that points up instead of your column shifter arm that points down. I used a Pinto floor shifter to operate a C4, but I had a floor shifter C4 out of a 68 Mustang in my 89. All I needed to do was fabricate a linkage rod to make it work. A stock Ranger floor shifter would work too, but you'd need to flip the linkage arm on an AOD to make it work, or possibly you could use an AOD out of a Mustang, those should have had a linkage arm that points up. I've never seen one so I cannot say for sure.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

never seen that one.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
never seen that one.
Maybe because that was an AODE he was lookin at. Only the hole for the hold down bolt was in the tailhousing if I recall was there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals