• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger #3 build....think Im goin nutz!

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well the cam has been picked and is in Tims hands now.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well I think its time for an update...

Just so nobody thinks I been layin around watching Dancing with the Stars I will point out while I been waiting on outside services to finish my parts I did a complete 2.3t,t5,pimp swap on a local kids 95 Ranger,put a blower,new clutch,new flywheel, put good axles in my Tbird then retuned it. Im also putting another 2.3t 83 Turbocoupe together for Rod.

Looks like Tim has my head finished now after a few issues were worked out. The solid roller conversion I bought from Racer Walsh didnt work with my Esslinger head so I had to get the correct Jumbo sleeve kit. Tim changed the header bolt threads to 3/8 so I will have more options for bolts and the rear freeze plug is now held in with some tack welds.

The flow chart of my head vs a Boport st3 Esslinger head has mine up 15cfm at .500 and about 25cfm more up at .600,after that his drops and mine keeps going to .700 where it peaks just over 250cfm

I think the time off from the truck has got me thinkin over a couple other ideas I had and the biggest change Im making is all the factory front suspension is going away. Selling off every part I already bought and Im going with the AJE tube front end that uses all Foxbody suspension and brake parts. My options and adjustability will be much better.

Lookin forward to jumpin back on this truck asap!

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well my head is here!

Tim put inserts in for 3/8 bolts in the header flange so I can have a few better options on header bolts.

And to make sure we keep the coolant inside the motor this time we now have a strap over the rear core plug.

Talked to AJE and they set me up with the K-member,strut towers,motor mounts and A-arms with adjustable hiems instead of poly bushings at a great price I think. Should have it in two weeks.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
So we mocked up the motor with the head on and discovered that the intake valves do not fit the pistons.

Calls were made.... First to Diamond and they swore the pistons were cut correctly for the 1.89 valve. I had to politely disagree with him when he said to just run them because he knows they built them correct. So then he says if in fact I am right and they hit he says it must be that Esslinger moves the intake valve. I contacted Esslinger and as I already thought was confirmed the valves are in stock locations.
In the meantime my builder removed the valves from head and center punched the pistons then tore motor down. I had sent these pix to Diamond and I woke today to an email from them saying that they went back over my order and notes and discovered they had used the wrong cutters and now say DO NOT use the pistons until I send them back so they can correct them or remake them.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
OK things are moving along now! New pistons are perfect and right now the assembly is getting balanced and I hope to have it back by end of the week.
We calculated real compression and with Tims mods to the head it now has a 66cc chamber and compression will check in at 9.26-1 now.

STILL waiting on my AJE front end to show up 5 weeks after it was ordered so no chassis progress yet.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes it feels like a higher power is trying to stop this build!

Last week I got 2 of 3 boxes from AJE. I got everything except the main crossmember. Made some calls and was told the driver must have left the other box on the truck. Well after leaving it in AJE hands for a week I had to call UPS myself and found out nobody ever even called them to look into my missing box.Turns out that box never even left the local UPS near AJE because it was damaged beyond being deliverable. They cant tell me if its just the box or the contents but either way its now between UPS and AJE.

So after waiting over 2 months for parts I was told Id have in 2 weeks now I have to wait some 10 day period for UPS to "investigate" then its up to AJE to either resend it or if its damaged build another one and wait for that one. I called AJE and kindly asked them to please get started on just building another crossmember to save time should the first one show up ruined. If I have to wait more weeks after weeks Im going to lose my $hit....

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Update time!

Motor is home and the long block is done. She looks awesome and Im very excited to get back to moving forward on this thing!

Next week I will be off work and plan to get the frame of truck stripped clean and install the AJE front end so I can set motor in the chassis. Once motor is in I can start finalizing intake and header placement.

Time to start the dig out!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
That motor is looking great! Should be worth all the headache it took to get it done.

How much boost are you planning on running?

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
^Agree! Motor is looking GREAT!:headbang:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Im hoping to keep boost just under 30psi and rpms just under 7500. I feel pretty confident this thing is going to break 600hp to the wheels pretty easy. If I can keep truck at or below the target weight of 2600lbs look out!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals