• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello from a New Member!

1990Ranger4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all!

I just inherited a 1990 4x2 Automatic with the 4.0L engine.

My family has had this truck for many years and used it primarily to move and around the land my parents owned. My parents have sold their land and during a recent hauling trip, she suffered the "puking" of the trans. fluid like so many have described.

After she sat for about a week, my Dad called me and said that I could have the truck if I wanted to take a shot at fixing it, or he was going to sell it for parts for a few hundred bucks to get rid of it ASAP.

Of course, I had to take him up on the offer, so, here I am. He's getting the title to me in the next couple of days, but for all intents and purposes, I am the proud owner of a shiny (dull) new (old) Ford Ranger.

Just wanted to say a quick hello, and hopefully, if things go right with my Ranger, I'll be here for a while.

I've already posted in the Official A4LD thread about my issues, so I'll update there when I find out something.

Thanks!

nomnomnom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 5spd in my Ranger but I have heard so many horror stories about the automatics + my friend Mary's 4.0L auto tranny just died, I have not seen too many people converting to manual but IMHO it should not be that hard, my guess is all you would need is flywheel/clutch/transmission/shifter+linkage/possibly driveshaft+components and a few sensors, I bet you could find everything you need at a local u-pull-it junkyard for a couple hundred bucks. if I had an auto, I'd be doing it.

samsquanch1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yup mine barfed up all of its fluid too. Overheated. Got a used 5r55e with 120xxx on it for 650 dollars. swapping that tranny aint too bad.

1990Ranger4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 5spd in my Ranger but I have heard so many horror stories about the automatics + my friend Mary's 4.0L auto tranny just died, I have not seen too many people converting to manual but IMHO it should not be that hard, my guess is all you would need is flywheel/clutch/transmission/shifter+linkage/possibly driveshaft+components and a few sensors, I bet you could find everything you need at a local u-pull-it junkyard for a couple hundred bucks. if I had an auto, I'd be doing it.
Yeah, I've been reading some threads around here about how to do it. I really don't have the time or the space right now, but I may seriously consider doing that in the future. It looks like some have managed to do it for around $500 or so and I'd easily spend that rebuilding or repairing my A4LD, so it seems to make sense to go the manual route when my time and wallet permit. Thanks for your comment!

1990Ranger4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yup mine barfed up all of its fluid too. Overheated. Got a used 5r55e with 120xxx on it for 650 dollars. swapping that tranny aint too bad.
So you already completed the full swap? I read on a swap thread on here that the hardest part was working with the new pedal and trying to get it to fit. I really might try to go that route if I can get the time and money to do it. It'd be a fun project for sure, and I feel much more comfortable working on this truck because I still have my DD if something goes awry. Do you have a build thread by any chance?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals