• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Speedy Vintage Moto Hauler

2.3efi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So to get down to the nitty gritty, the game plan is a Super Coupe 3.8 swap with a single turbo setup in place of the supercharger.

Before you roll your eyes, a bit of some background haha. In 08' we got the itch to turbo our buddy's perfectly good Super Coupe. Ended up running a holset with a megasquirt for the fuel management. Life happened and the car has sat for the last 8 years.

I made the mistake of buying a car in the dark and picked up my 85 Ranger with a very tired 302 that was leaking anything and everything. I probably payed too much and as I tore into it I found that the motor was shot.

Making the best of it, I'm planning on swapping the 3.8 with the M5R2. I managed to pick up the pedal assembly here, just need to find a top shift assembly now since the S/C has the shifter hanging off the tailshaft.

Look forward to keeping this thread updated.

Last edited:

2.3efi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Made a little progress. Pulled the core support in preparation for the new engine. Hoping to get it this weekend. Also power-washed the engine bay, the 302 had a bad rear main seal that covered everything in oil.

2.3efi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I pulled the motor and trans for the Ranger build out of the donor Supercoupe on Sunday.

Motor has probably less than a thousand miles on it since it was rebuilt, but the car sat parked for nearly 8 years behind my buddy's house. Motor still turns freely, will be cleaning it up and going over it before tossing it in the truck.

And what's a garage turbo build with out a holset? This was also installed in the Supercoupe.

I'm probably going to build a log style intake for it and use some sort of GM throttle body, it was using an N/A 3.8 intake and throttle body.

2.3efi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Started mocking up the engine, hence the awesome wood motor mounts haha.

I am using a set of 94/95 3.8 Mustang motor mounts. Need to tweak the driver side a bit still.

Also will have to relocate the oil filter and come up with some new exhaust manifolds to clear the steering. Will probably see if I can modify a set of later 3.8 manifolds from a mustang. If anyone has a set laying around, I'd be interested.

proz07

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Man i love the pics and showing everything. keep it up. This definitely shows ill have work cut out for me when i do my swap... A gen III GM motor is a bit larger, lol.

z

2.3efi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Made some good progress tonight.

I modified my driver side mount to fit the frame and was able to get the motor and trans to slip in.

Still need to finalize the mount, need to get some button top allens for clearance. I was only able to get two of the three bolts in for right now.

I may also cut and drop the mounts a little to help level out the motor a bit more. right now it's sitting at roughly a 7 degree angle, but this is with out anything on the front end.

Next stuff I need to tackle is adapting the trans mount, figuring out shifter and steering column/exhaust clearance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals