• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cranks but won’t start, please help

DougMerry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello I’m sorry if this is in the wrong section but I couldn’t find where ignition issues were supposed to go. I’ve got a 2001 Ranger with a 2.5 and manual 5 speed that I have owned for 15 years and haven’t had any issues other than normal maintenance with 185k on the odometer. About two weeks ago it would turn over normally but wouldn’t start. I put a gas rag in the intake and still no start. I used my back up vehicle and 3 days later got around to looking at it and it started right up on my first attempt. This and the gas rag ruled out my idea of fuel pump, and loosing prime. A friend told me the crank case sensor was probably going bad so I changed the crank sensor, timing belt, water pump, had the battery checked for amps, and checked to find no engine codes 2 weeks ago and thought the sensor had fixed the issue. Yesterday when I got in it the same thing happened again. Turns over but won’t start. After about 20 try’s it finally fired up. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don’t know where else to go with such an intermediate issue. Thanks

Last edited:

Pez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Whoa..
Is your fuel pump coming on at key on? Remove the fuel cap and key on. Listen for the hum out of the filler neck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals