• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 ranger questions!

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok, finally picked up my little ford ranger from my dad this saturday. for right now I'm using it for the bed so I can haul stuff around.

its a stock 2.3 / 5speed truck. recently replaced engine and the clutch and slave cylinder are brand new. paid $800 for it. no check engine lights but it idles high and on the highway I can have it floored @65mph and it takes like a minute to get to 70 so I'll have to work on that a little haha.

anyway...it was a BAREBONES truck. manual windows, no a/c, and no tach.

question #1are these prewired for tach so I can just go get a tach cluster from the junkyard and toss it in and go?? I'm curious if I'm just out of the rpm range and thats why it chugs on the highway...but if I had to bet its probably a half clogged fuel filter since my dad would always just put the gas he would get from wrecked cars before he crushed them in it haha.

question #2also, are they prewired to accept power windows?? its a luxury I'll want during the summer instead of reaching over to wind the passenger window down.

question #3how much of a pain in the ass is it to add in a/c to this thing??

I see the evap housing has the dimples for the evap core and the compressor bracket is present.

I'd just rip everything I need out of a donor at the u-pull.

I'm thinking I'd need all lines, a dryer, a condensor, compressor w/bolts, possibly crank pulley?, the evap core and already correctly drilled evap housing. I'm thinking thats about it unless the harness is not pre-wired for it at which point I'd need that as well...

anyway, any help you can give pointing me in one way or the other would be greatly appreciated before the temps get over 100* here....they are in the low 90's today ugh.

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok, think I found my cluster answer.

people say any 95-01 explorer cluster will work and some say only a 95-97 ranger cluster will work. I'll probably end up with one from an explorer since most of the ranger clusters are usually bastardized out at the u-pull

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok, think I got the power window answer...

I can swap over to windows/locks/mirrors all at once. and I can even grab the GEM module and use the keyless remotes, nice. definitely going to do this.

I'll probably just rip the dash out of a truck at the u-pull and then disect out the portion of the underdash harness I need. anyone know where the GEM module is located and what it looks like??

I'm assuming behind the driver side door is where the module for the power mirrors will be located.

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok, grabbed a tach cluster out of a manual transmission 95 explorer at the u-pull for $15 and threw it in the truck and it works like a charm.

one thing though is that the truck is definitely idling high. It idles at 1500rpm. no engine codes though so I guess its a vacuum leak somewhere??

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It could be a vacuum leak, it could also be your IAC (idle air control) or VSS (vehicle speed sensor). When your moving, your VSS tells your engine to idle a little high for smoother shifting and what not. It may be going out. Mine went out about a month ago, and didn't throw any codes. Now when I'm going down the freeway, Im at 1,100 rpm. Just some thoughts and ideas. Good luck man.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals