• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone preppers here with radio setups?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
A lot of off-roaders have CB radios in their rigs, but I'm wondering if anyone has radios setup in their vehicles for SHTF situations?

I like CB. Cheap and readily available.

I hear 2 meter is popular.

GMRS/FRS is readily available in handhelds, but has limited range.

In addition to a CB, I'd like to have a 2-meter radio because I feel like I could reach more people. I'd also like to have a GMRS radio in my vehicle to be able to talk to people that have GMRS/FRS portables.

I'm trying to learn more about the 2-meter ham radios to see what I should get. And I'm not sure how to find a GMRS mobile, but I think I've seen them on ebay.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I also found this:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Jim, a 2meter mobile radio with a high gain Omni-directional antenna can conduct a simplex conversation with a similar radio hill top to hill top over more than 200 miles.

I have personally done this multiple times with the Icom IC-229H 50watt radio I now use as a 2M "base" radio, mobile I used a Diamond SG-7900 antenna, with any kind of directional antenna 50watts on 2mFM longer distances are easily possible.

frankly the most important thing is skill as a radio operator and I'm not talking about police radio procedure, the type of skill I am talking about can only be gained by practice.

my current mobile amateur transceiver is an Icom IC-2410H dual band radio that does both 2meter as well as 70cm (440MHz) it is capable of simultaneously receiving both bands a once as well as actually performing cross-band repeat functions.

I also have an ICOM IC-706 radio that has all the HF bands and is capable of world wide communications...

Not that I expect to be calling someone I Russia, Japan or South Africa for help with any real expectation of getting that help...

AllanD

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I also found this:

Just remember that a major EMP event will render your transmitters/recievers useless as with the vehicles they are in along with everything else people are desperatly dependent upon these days. One badboy flare from our star can shut down the planet electronicly, one "wherever" high altitude burst from say north korea would cascade shutdown same as and they just sit back and watch Americans go savage on each other within hours. Of course you know you can get hardened com and vehicles can be hardened too but EMP is a huge threat not only from nature but from fellow humans. I have some old school vehicles for bug out and sealed/protected spare ignitions for my atv's, boats ect. . If an event like that occures the folks with the vacuum tubes will be the only ones talking unless your modern junk is hardened. Meanwhile though my VFH stuff reaches way out and touches by air, land and sea.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
Just remember that a major EMP event will render your transmitters/recievers useless as with the vehicles they are in along with everything else people are desperatly dependent upon these days. One badboy flare from our star can shut down the planet electronicly, one "wherever" high altitude burst from say north korea would cascade shutdown same as and they just sit back and watch Americans go savage on each other within hours. Of course you know you can get hardened com and vehicles can be hardened too but EMP is a huge threat not only from nature but from fellow humans. I have some old school vehicles for bug out and sealed/protected spare ignitions for my atv's, boats ect. . If an event like that occures the folks with the vacuum tubes will be the only ones talking unless your modern junk is hardened. Meanwhile though my VFH stuff reaches way out and touches by air, land and sea.
Most of these problems can be solved with a few aluminum garbage cans and grounds. Or an underground concrete bunker. Or lots of good clean booze.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You cannot keep your electronic devices alive without storing them in an metal container (a mil-surpl ammo can works well)

But driving your truck with the EEC and other modules in safe storage doesn't work too well, what works better is having KNOWN GOOD SPARES in secure storage.

REMEMBER "new" is not "known good".

Personally I have three spare for all of the electronic modules in my truck.
EEC I probably have five or six of them.
EDIS6 I know I have four.
Don't forget a spare alternator (as an assembly ) because EMO can kill the rectifier diodes
as well as SEVERAL voltage regulator/Brush block assemblies (Keep one of these in your truck with the necessary tools to swap in out!)

Keep a spare serpintine belt too, actually I carry TWO belts, one is shorter to bypass the A/C compressor pulley (should the A/C clutch bearing fail)

AD

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
Yup Baofeng UV-5R HT, and the above list and a program called CHIRP works great

P.S. you DON'T need a HAM license to "listen" to those frequencies...heck might gain valuable information just monitoring, only need license to transmit. But in a SHTF scenario, do you really think the FCC is gonna swoop in on you If you scream for help on a frequently you aren't licensed for?

Awesome EMP protection, old busted microwave (high power faraday cage more or less), if it can attenuate 1000+ watts of RF energy inches from your face it should shield low power wide spectrum spike from an EMP blast

I just picked up one of these radios
http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=123479

SAMSUNG say whaaaaaat?

Last edited:

bluford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.o
Transmission
Automatic
my cb stuff works real good , can chatter almost anywhere in the NA continent.

Abscess

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I gotta ask have you been listening to George Noory and his congressional proposal to protect our electrical grid? I gotta say the man is right and very little Americans have yet to realize how many global catastrophic and/or nuclear threats there are about to potentially be released on America as we're the fall back nation of the west we might actually need more national defense now than the international defense we have aggressively fighting the middle east for almost 40 years in this war. Just saying, we've been stirring up the the middle east since 1975 it's about time Iran will want to drop a nuke on us or Isreal and Isreal stopped Syria from getting nukes back in the late 90's and Iran want's to declare "death to Isreal." The bible depicted the effects of fallout due to thermonuclear war (written by the Jews 4000 years ago originally) and the Qur'an talks about a biblical type war of mass proportions that destroys all it's enemies. Unless Islam is actually talking about a solar flare? In the early days gods were actually refered to as figures of wars, love, and hate to certain symbols of our universe, solar system, sun, moon/planet from the earliest of the gods have coming from the universe through through our solar system from the sun to straight down to our planet. Of which the gods were merely humans like us but they represented knowledge of their surroundings. For example sun gods were humans that tylpically walked away from the burning sun but "somehow survived it's heat" then walked further out towards it resting place in the west where the sun died (before being resurrected in the east) but that human (god) did not die with the sun so they were like a god and greater than the cosmos. The greatest example of this was in ancient Egypt. The people were stupified by the idea of traveling west (towards death) that they built humongous monuments (pyramids) to preserve the ideas of their knowledge of cosmology and the rotation of the earth around it's axis. We need to protect our grids! Why? because the rich are at the top of the dollar scheme...Flip that pyramid on the back of your U.S. dollar upside down and you got the president of the U.s. on top followed by congress with a slightly larger mass of head corporates and businesses withion of th mass money running federal interests and the majority of the corporate loons running about 47% of our government leaving about 7% of our countries wealth to the mass majority of the bottom population of the pyramid scheme. America is built upon slaves backed behind a gold standard currency that was destroyed back in 1935. We evenly distribute our wealth amongst equal nations which demotes eventual economic collapes.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals